Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stick2000
Reel Rookie

Issues Connecting Roku Express to TP-Link Deco Network

Hi, 

When connecting to my TP-Link M5 Deco network I now get a 0.14.30 error. The wireless signal is exceellent and I have devices connected to the same device on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. Having done some reseach on this I understand the Roku expresses uses only 2.4Ghz and does not support Channel 13. I will start off by saying that my 2.4Ghz network is currently using channel 6 so is not the issue. Also I tried Roku support and followed the guide this has not helped, and there is no agent support available from Roku for this device. The Roku express is Model 3930EO and version 12.0.0. Build 4184.AE. It was working before the recent firmware upgrade I did on the Roku and cannot find a way to rollback the firmware. 

I have tried setting up a dedicated 2.4Ghz network on the Deco system and this still does not work. 

If I connect the Roku express device to my phone hotspot it connects fine to the internet.  

When I factory reset the Roku it does not help. I can see the network enter the password and then then takes a while before it fails with the 014.30. The password is correct. 

I have also tried to dedicate the Roku device to the access point on the mesh network. 

This seems like a software issue introduced by the recent upgrade to firmware 12.0.0. I would apreciate some feedback before I go out and purchase a competitors product. A rollback firmware option might be helpful in the short term. 

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Issues Connecting Roku Express to TP-Link Deco Network

For some routers, setting the wireless mode to b/g/n and not g/n fixes the problem.  I believe I've also seen just the opposite (g/n works and b/g/n does not).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
stick2000
Reel Rookie

Thanks. That's not a configuration you can control on the Deco system manually. 

0 Kudos
stick2000
Reel Rookie

Ok, made some progress and I believe I have identified what is causing the issue. If I disable a password on the WiFi network it works. When i set a password again it fails. The options available on the Deco system are either WPA2 or WPA/WPA2.  Have tried both and it fails. No special characters in the password. I believe there must be an issue with the way the Roku Express is authenticating. Since all my other WiFi devices are working with WPA/WPA2 I do not believe this is a TP-Link /Deco issue.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@stick2000 

There have been a few known issues with the TP-Link Deco (various models) and Roku devices.

If having trouble connecting the Roku Express (2.4ghz-only Express models like the 3930), either temporarily disabling 5ghz band while attempting to connect or creating a guest network seemed to work best.

1. Temporarily disable the 5ghz band.  Connect the Roku device to the 2.4ghz band.  Re-enable the 5ghz band.

2. Set up a Guest network for the Roku devices.  Most are fine with passwords.  If not, disable the password on the Guest network only.  WPA/WPA2 or WPA2-only should both be fine. (I generally use WPA/WPA2 so all network devices can connect/fallback connection).  If using WPA/WPA2, remember to try and use shorter password.  If you prefer a long password, select WPA2.

-----

The Deco mesh routers are not very configurable, so kind of have to use one of the above if you plan on using 2.4ghz Roku devices with it.  Have not seen too many issues with the dual-band (2.4ghz and 5ghz capable) Roku devices and the Deco, so may want to consider an upgrade if the above workarounds do not work for you or you find them unsuitable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos