Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jld6
Channel Surfer

Cannot connect to 5GHz since software update Roku Sticks

In April 2023, after a software update, my Roku sticks disconnected from 5GHz channel.  After a few weeks of back and forth with tech support, a correction was rolled out.  Now again almost a month ago, after a software update I have the same issue.  Except this time no one will call me back.  I an frustrated with the fact that eventide I call, I have to go thru the same step wise troubleshooting and then told the issue will be escalated.  Nothing has been done despite Roku knowing the issue. Anyone actually get escalated issues responded to in the last 6 months ??? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot connect to 5GHz since software update Roku Sticks

@Jld6, since I haven't seen anyone else report this, I think it's possible that your router is switching to an unsupported channel.  What happens when you try to connect?  Does your 5GHz network not show up or do you get some kind of error message/code?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jld6
Channel Surfer

It is only with the sticks.  The tv and the ultra are ok. And let me be very clear, this happened before and the fix was done by roku.  My network is fine. I have 100 devices on the network and only three three Roku sticks will not grab 5ghz.  My old amazon fire st8ck grabs 5ghz.  Again just like the time in April, this happened at exactly the moment Roku had a software update for the sticks...exactly the same day !!  Just like in April, exactly the same day !!

0 Kudos
Jld6
Channel Surfer

You should google this issue. You will find others with the same issue.  Roku stick software is set to grab 2.4ghz first, if available... and a mesh network will not move it to 5ghz because the roku stick software won't allow the network to move it. Roku used to have a similar issue with the ultra and TVs, but that was corrected quite some time ago. I think it is Roku's way of making people who have very connected household environments upgrade to ultra.  That would be bad service.  If the sticks are just basically 2.4ghz channel preferred it should be marketed as such.  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You can avoid this issue by using different SSIDs for your 2.4 and 5GHz networks.  It's much easier than waiting for Roku to "fix" something and you're in charge of what network your devices use.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jld6
Channel Surfer

I have a mesh system, no different network names for channels. And Roku actually removed a simple instruction in their software.  And I was hoping that Roku would actually at least call me like they promised.  Bad customer service too.

0 Kudos
Jld6
Channel Surfer

As a follow up, all three roku sticks stopped connecting at 5ghz at exactly the moment the latest Roku software update was made.  The Roku TV and the one Roku ultra has been fine, as has the Amazon Fire stick.  The bad part is that no one has called me as Roku said...one month later.

0 Kudos
Jld6
Channel Surfer

Still waiting for the promised follow up. An explanation of why 3 individual Roku sticks can lose 5ghz connection immediately at the moment of Roku software upgrade is a router issue on my end.  Especially when Amazon Fire stick and Roku TV (as well as 90+ smart devices) did not have magic....

0 Kudos
Jld6
Channel Surfer

Roku still has not returned my call. Bought a competitors device and it worked fine. Just so everyone knows, the issue is with just the Roku Stick.  The TVs and the Roku Ultra work fine.  And again, this same issue was corrected by Roku in April2023, but with the update in October, the issue returned.  Does not appear that Roku wants to respond.  My prediction is that the Roku Sticks are soon to be obsoleted.  Just a guess.

0 Kudos
happy_streamer
Binge Watcher

Not all Roku devices support DFS channels. If router moved to a DFS channel, legacy Roku devices without DFS support cannot connect.

0 Kudos