Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stturner
Reel Rookie

3810X stuck updating, no wifi and remote will not pair so can't go to setup screen

I have a 3810X that I have not used in a while, but now I have a need for it so I plugged it in and it came up to the screen "Unable to update software".  There is an option to "Set up network", but the remote does not work on the device.  I replaced the batteries in the remote and press the pairing button until it is blinking, but it never pairs.  I removed the batteries, unplugged power to the streaming stick, replaced batteries in the remote (which immediately starts blinking again), stick powers up to same unable to update screen and remote never pairs.  I did hard reset on the stick by pressing the button and repeated the above process several times, tried more new batteries, but remote will not sync/pair with stick and without remote working cannot get stick on the network.  I have tried everything I could find on this message board, nothing works.

Streaming Stick is model 3810X

Remote is model RC-AL2

Any suggestions???

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: 3810X stuck updating, no wifi and remote will not pair so can't go to setup screen

@stturner Try a factory reset of  your 3810 stick.  The button on the Roku Streaming Stick is a Reset button. A short press should reboot the Roku. A long press (30+ seconds) will Factory Reset the device. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3810X stuck updating, no wifi and remote will not pair so can't go to setup screen

@stturner, the 3810 requires the original USB cable with the "bump" in it, so make sure you're using it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
stturner
Reel Rookie

@HDMIGuy - I did do a hard/factory reset, but I will try that again.  I may not have held the button in for 30+ seconds, but it is worth another try.  Will update once I have tried it again.

@renojim - I do have the original cable with the bump in it.  I have tried plugging into USB port and also plugging into wall with Roku adapter.  Tried 2 different adapters just to be sure.

0 Kudos
stturner
Reel Rookie

@HDMIGuy - Some success.  Holding for 30+ seconds did allow the stick to reset to factory and it came up with the setup screen instead of the update screen.  The pair the remote screen came up next and still will not pair with the remote.  I pulled batteries and as soon as I put them back in, the remote starts flashing like it is in pairing mode, but it never pairs.  I pulled batteries, power cycled the stick (unplugged power for 10 seconds), put the batteries back in after it came up to the pair the remote screen and same results.  I am beginning to think it is a bad remote.  I have another streaming stick that I can test the remote on and test that remote as well, I just don't have those with me and it will be a few days.

Any other suggestions while I wait to try a different remote?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@stturner Likely will not work but get very close to the stick with remote and try to pair.  I had that work on a stick once.

0 Kudos