Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJSherlin
Reel Rookie

We need a power button. Roku cost extra internet charge because it's connected 24/7

I've really enjoyed my Roku, having given up my $175 a month satellite Dish. I am on Xfinity's old people plan for $9.95 a month. The past 3 months, I've been hit with an extra charge, $10 per 50gb, for going over my 1000gb limit. I've been trying to figure out what has suddenly started using so much gig. It's the Roku. When I added a second Roku for the grandkid's tv, it cost an extra $30, $40, and $30.  Still cheaper than satellite, but...
You see, the problem is...Roku doesn't turn off. It's on 24 hours a day. And it's downloading updates continuously all the time. So, even though one tv is only on during the weekends, it's using internet 7 days a week. Roku will be unpluged on that one during the week from now on. We'll see if that's enough to get me back below 1000 gig. If not, I'll start unplugging the other on at bedtime.  Wish I'd known about the stick when I started.  Just pull it out to unplug.
Roku really needs to fix this so it remains the most cost effective choice..

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
nerdman
Channel Surfer

Re: We need a power button. Roku cost extra internet charge because it's connected 24/7

Hi BJ, I too have a Roku with an Xfinity plan (not the Old peoples plan, yet) and I think you should not be exceeding the 1000gb(1Tb) cap. I believe streaming Xfinity data is free when using the X1 Beta Channel.

I also have an nVidia Shield that I do a lot of streaming on, as well as the Roku. Generally though I only use the Roku for X1 Streaming. The only time I use a lot of streaming data from Xfinity is when I use the nVidia.

You can check your data usage by logging onto your Xfinity account and select SERVICES at the top (near center). Scroll down to the INTERNET choice and select it. Scroll down from there and you should see a graph that shows the streaming data usage Xfinity has for you.

You might also want to inquire with Xfinity why you are getting these charges. Like I said, I think it should be free when using X1 Beta Stream Channel. On my system I have checked that out and it is true for me.

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if I qualify for the Old Peoples Plan (I'm 73) so I'm going to look into it.

0 Kudos