Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QnB
Reel Rookie

Remove Annoying Ads/Commercials

I LOVED Netflix until I couldn't find anything interesting to watch anymore and I had watched all the shows I liked more than twice. Then I found Roku, which has a lovely variety of shows that interest me. But it has the one thing I cannot stand....COMMERCIALS! I loathe commercials, ads, etc., whatever they're called, I just want my life commercial free. I pay for cable and I never watch it because it has too many commercials. Apparently, according to the cable company, it would cost the same to just have internet. But I want commercial free programming when I want it not on some schedule. C'mon Roku, you can do it! Give us what we really want!! 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Remove Annoying Ads/Commercials

And how would anyone make money doing that?

Sure if you want to pay a lot more for what you watch, and the channel thinks it is worth their time to create a subscription service.

Don't like commercials? Buy DVD's and sell them on eBay when you are done. 

Or move to a country where there are fewer commercials (e.g. UK, way fewer minutes per hour by regulation, far fewer drug commercials). US 22min show per half hour, UK 26 (UK shows played in the US often have to be reedited to fit).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Btdemp

You don't suppose they make enough money selling me the roku to start with?   44 dollars each [approx] 5 million a year sold.  A little math and well 220,000,000 thats not enough money?  Seriously wtf???

Roku Annual Gross Profit(Millions of US $)

2020$808
2019$495
2018$332
2017$200
2016$121
2015$90

You sure right MilesT. They need more money Can't operate without ad revenue. You sir must be an advertiser.....

MilesT
Roku Guru

Not a lot of profit in each device (certainly the cheaper ones) and that is a one off purchase every few years (aka a **bleep** business model that investors won't invest in).

Adverts pay every month. That's what investors want to see.

Why do you think apple is also into media serving (iTunes etc).

If you don't pay (much) for the product then you are the product.

Get over it.  Don't like adverts, watch DVDs instead, likely to be cheaper anyway if you can wait and buy secondhand.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
QnB
Reel Rookie

I would happily pay for commercial free streaming service. 

MilesT you have such a charming disposition. Thank you for your thoughts and please do have a happy day. 🙂

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Roku Guru

Roku is not a hardware company, they are an advertisement company that makes hardware to sell those ads. keep in mind that The Roku Channel actually has less ads in their on demand selection than most other free ad driven offerings. I understand this isn't the answer you want to hear but unless you can convince Roku to do a Roku Channel Premium you won't get ad free from them. I know a lot of people would like to see then offer this but I don't think they will. I for one am with you in not wanting to see the ads 

deepseer
Binge Watcher

The relentless same ole, same ole hundreds of times a day advertisement, is BY FAR, the most annoying feature of Roku. Too bad they don't understand that subscribers will get so tired of this broken record, they will EVENTIUALLY gravitate to a different platform. Too bad Roku executives also don't understand, they could keep some of these dis-satisfied subscribers by offering a paid, ad-free subscription.

deepseer
Binge Watcher

It's their same ole self-promo ad that is, and will continue to drive away customers. You must not be a Roku user, because if you were, you could see for yourself and understand, the same self-promo ad, QUITE LITTERALLY, is being played on their multitude of stations, THOUSANDS of TIMES a DAY.

wildsprite
Roku Guru

whom are you saying must not be a Roku user? I most certainly am. what you fail to see is. Roku needs to serve up those adverts to a certain number of people or they lose that revenue. yes they are annoying. I stopped paying attention to most of them. yeah I know they are still annoying but unless you have the knowledge to serve them up in a much larger variety you aren't getting rid of them. Amazon does the same on their FreeVee service and 90% of what is on there is not on Prime Video as ad free. Tubi and Pluto are also ad driven and almost as annoying as Roku is. unfortunately even companies like Netflix are seeing growth with their ad tier and I suspect we will it grow even more. I'm not in favor of it if it is pay like Netflix, Hulu, and Paramount Plus are pulling but they will keep at it as long as it sells ads for them and makes them money. Roku does make money on their own devices yes but those are designed to sell them ads from the get go(Amazon does the same thing with their devices). take a long at devices that have no service attached to them, the ones as cheap as the Roku devices are all garbage. the good ones are all way more expensive.

0 Kudos
deepseer
Binge Watcher

"Roku needs to serve up those adverts to a certain number of people or they lose that revenue."

What I and others are speaking of is Roku's very own annoying self-promoting advertisement. We are not talking about an advertisement proffered by an outside private company on the Roku platform, hence there is ZERO revenue "they lose". Just like Roku, you don't seem to understand.

0 Kudos