Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cfg83
Binge Watcher

Feature Request: Roku Remote tester

Hello -

This is a request to add a feature to the Roku software.  It addresses the threads that deal with Roku remote button degradation.  It would be in the "Settings -> Remotes & devices" submenu.  It could be called "Test this remote". 

It would work something like the following : 

Enter a mode where it would request the user to press a specific button within 10(?) seconds.  When the button is pressed it would go on to the next button.  It would run until all buttons are pushed.  If a button isn't pushed, then that button is flagged as "bad".  After testing is complete, it sends a report to Roku.

Notes :

- Since it is testing "this" remote, Roku should(?) know the make and model of remote, so it should be able to filter out the buttons that are not present.  This would make the test go faster.

- If Roku does NOT know the make and model of remote, then it would have to test all possible buttons, so a more complicated methodology of interaction would be needed.

Benefits : 

- This would allow for pretty quick verification of which buttons are failing.

- This would allow for good data collection.  For example, if the serial number of the remote is bundled with the test, then a "bad batch" of remotes could be identified,

Problems :

- If the buttons needed to navigate to this option don't work, then this won't work.

- Bad guys could use this to get free remotes.  Silly, but possible.

cfg83

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
6E616D65
Streaming Star

Re: Feature Request: Roku Remote tester

The option to "view remote button presses" is currently available at the "platform secret screen" (it's a secret). Your method wouldn't accomplish much more than identify a remote button that's around 100% failure rate, which should be apparent without testing. I haven't had the secret screen ever identify a bad button either, because the times a press of one button (e.g.: "right" d-pad button, home button, etc.) produces the response of (Partner 13 (Hulu)) is so intermittent that it's virtually unreproduceable. The response (Hulu) never varies, but the key producing the result can be anything, and it's very intermittent, so good luck catching it with any test. There's so many unresolved complaints of Hulu opening in response to some other button being pressed that I would think Roku would have figured it out by now; maybe they have, and the fix is to report it via a support ticket rather than a consumer-to-consumer forum. Maybe I'll just generate an i.d. (I just googled this: "First, try to replicate the behavior that you're seeing. Then, using your Roku remote's microphone button, say "Get Tracker ID," or press Home 5x and Back 5x in quick succession"), then open a chat and have a ticket opened.

Thanks for the idea.

cfg83
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Roku Remote tester

@6E616D65 

Thank you for pointing this out.  However, a "secret screen" is not a public screen and by implication a barrier to solving the problem.

People are complaining about busted buttons on multiple threads in this forum, but after an automatic condolence, they are being told to reboot their Roku, change the batteries, reset their remote, etc.   All of these fall under the standard issue "please power cycle the computer" IT solution aka "let's cross our fingers that the problem goes away when we reboot the computer".

I think both sides would benefit from being able to conclusively prove/disprove the button failures.  

After a large tranche of data is gathered, Roku can do meaningful cost/repair/reimbursement analysis.  Then, on future remotes, Roku could offer a time/mileage (button presses) warranty aka what cars do.

cfg83

0 Kudos