Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

Double topic.  Please use this thread for further discussion.

Topic closed.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

"Basil" wrote:
"Coach David" wrote:
I have the stick on other TV's and it's just not a good user interface when you can't tell that you are not streaming without turning the tv back on

Actually, it's easy to tell. Were you streaming when you hit the "off" button? Then it's still streaming. Every Roku device (not Roku TV, but the standard Roku devices) works that way.

Yea, I understand that is how Roku works but, user interfaces work best when they work as expected.

If you ask 10,000 users how the power button on the Roku remote should work.

Imagine an iron or stove working like this.

I know it's not the same. Its just something I thought about after support explained to me how it works.

I am pretty sure the power button could send both signals based on setting it up to control the tv in the first place.

This would be a feature that no one would notice and that would be a big success.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Visitor

On my 3 Roku Expresses I have them powered by USB on the TVs and not the power adapter they came with. When the TV is turned off so is the USB port and thus the Roku. Streaming over. Very handy when I use the sleep function in the bedroom to turn off the TV.
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

If Coach’s TV cuts power to the USB, and if the USB will power the Stick, that might work.

Coach? Wanna see if that does the trick?
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Streams
Visitor

I don’t want this feature, I like leaving my Roku paused and on a channel.  Many channels don’t time-out and go back to the home screen like some do.  

Right now I took a break from watching something to eat and look some stuff up on the Internet.  I shut off the TV since I knew I would be away for an hour or so.  When I go back and turn on the TV, it will be right where I left off, no having to reload a channel and find the show.

FWIW, some channels will auto-start the show when doing what I just described.
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

If Roku were to add such a feature — assuming, of course, a single button could even generate both an IR signal (to turn off the TV) and a WiFi signal (for the Roku Home button) — it should be optional. You should have to deal with a new “feature” that makes your experience worse.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
wgb
Visitor

Yes the Ultra remote turns the TV on & off, but what burns me is the Roku unit will not turn off - on 24/7
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

Yes, just like every Roku ever sold in the past 10 years (well, there was the Roku 4). And being on is not the same as streaming. Unless, of course, you're streaming when you turn the TV off. Then, the Roku is streaming. Just like if you are watching a DVD and turn your TV off, the DVD keeps playing. 

By the way, when you turn your TV off, you don't turn your TV off. It goes to a low power mode. If it was truly off, using no power, it couldn't read the remote to "turn back on." Your TV is on 24/7 too. You just didn't know.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Streams
Visitor

"wgb" wrote:
Yes the Ultra remote turns the TV on & off, but what burns me is the Roku unit will not turn off - on 24/7

Basil, is right.
When I first bought the first Roku I had to lookup how to shut it off, I found it very that there was no off or on.  But there is no need for one.  And most other electronic devices don't shut off either, they just shutdown the displays.  Since Roku doesn't have a display, there is no need for that.
0 Kudos
Nh_streaming
Visitor

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

I’d like to second his suggestion that the power button on the ultra exit the program and stop streaming. It would be logical and nice to have.
Does anyone else use the sleep timer on their TV? The wasted bandwidth... There must be an HDMI control signal that could tell Roku the TV is going Off. My AV audio system Powers off and on with the TV via HDMI controls. No problem with the Roku staying alive, everything else is. They need to consider wasted bandwidth in their software design.

"Smokindog" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 

That's why it needs to be added as an option button.  Home button habits don't work if you fall asleep watching TV 😉  Also, when my TV is turned off, I expect everything associated with it to terminate (ala CEC).  This request has too many merits to dismiss IMO.

1. Prevents excessive use of bandwidth

2. Makes is more consistent with devices that actually DO power off

3. Dovetails with implementation of sleep timer (another obvious need IMO)

4. Makes operation more consistent with CEC intent/operation

5. Makes the device behave like most others

6. I don't have previous versions of ROKU (I have 4660 and 3800) but if as you say they just added the power button this feature should not impact other ROKU devices as they don't have the power feature........
PS - I always chuckle when someone says some software feature "can't be done" 🙂  Not a slam at you, just a general observation.  
0 Kudos