Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haas5615

Feature Request: Multi-screen or Picture in Picture on Roku TV

I am getting ready to purchase 4 ROKU TV’s to put together a 2X2 multi-screen setup. I’m considering that because I’m not aware of Picture-in-Picture being an active feature, or else I would just get a projector and divide the image across multiple apps/channels. Maybe this is an enhancement request, but it would be great to either allow PIP, or allow tying multiple screens together. For example, in a 2x2 setup I could specify the placement of each TV so that the Top Left only showed the Top Left 25% of the image. Top Right-Top Right, etc.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
ROC1
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Multi-screen or Picture in Picture on Roku TV

Haas5615,

If I understand your request, you are looking for a way to split one image into multiple parts using four different TV's. I suppose you may want to be able to use different images in each of the TV's as well. One solution you are looking at is a way to use a Roku TV to accomplish your goal. I have very little familiarity with Roku TV but I do have some familiarity with the Multi Link capability associated with some Samsung TV's.  However, there may be a more simple and less costly way to accomplish your goal using any HDMI equipped television. Here is a link to an inexpensive alternative called Video Wall Controller 4 TV Wall Processor.  This would be a more entry level device at $199. Of course it can get a lot more costly depending on how much you want to spend. There is also image splitting PC software that would allow you to split your image and transpose it to as many different TV's as you have.  That would be a lot more technical than this more simple solution.  Good luck.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1750764045731778414?q=samsung+tv+with+multi+link&client=fire...

0 Kudos
Tracyn8604

First connect your Hdmi Port to your Roku TV and the 2nd device. Your screen will automatically mirror your computer. So you may have to play around with it a bit and plug into each hdmi port separately at the back of your TV, to see which one works. Next, right click on you desktop to locate the "display settings." Under display settings, go to multiple displays and select" extend these displays". After this, select keep changes.

You may have to restart your computer is you dont see the the options. Once your computer comes back up, you should be able to complete these steps. Hope this helps

0 Kudos

@Haas5615, are you looking to be able to watch multiple streams on a single screen?  If so, the only way I've figured out how to do multiple screens is with a BlackMagic MultiView device (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/multiview).  This isn't easy, simple, or cheap though.  I have a MultiView 4 (which can do a 2x2 view) and because it's really a professional device, most of the connections require SDI, so I also had to buy multiple HDMI-to-SDI converters.  I have multiple Tivo Minis that work fine with this setup.

I have tried to connect both a Roku Ultra and a Roku 3, but once video starts playing, it seems to fail the HDCP connection.  This might be because I have older HDMI-to-SDI converters, although one of them is a BlackMagic HDMI-to-SDI Micro Converter.  I was able to use an older AppleTV (A1427) without triggering the HDCP, so I currently use the Apple TV and 3 Tivo Minis to drive my 2x2 view.

If you ever find another solution, I'd love to hear about it.

0 Kudos