Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricov7824
Binge Watcher

Re: Add live local OTA channels

My comment says in plain as day ADD LIVE LOCAL channels. Add and create are two different word with two different meanings.

0 Kudos
Ricov7824
Binge Watcher

So again as said before i already know about those other tv apps we are limited to space. I already know about those other devices. I dont need other devices. My comment was about stream lining the roku tv app by adding those channels that already air over internet add them to Roku TV app no need to have duplicated apps that do the same thing we are limited to download space. Its all about developing partnership with networks. That are multicast channels like Dabl, court, comet, these are just a few to name. These channels are both on tv  OTA and on the internet no where did i say CREATE i  said add.

0 Kudos
dofzin
Reel Rookie

I think we're having a few misunderstandings in this thread. Starting with the original subject "Add live local OTA channels" there is a difference between over-the-air (OTA) broadcast channels and streaming channels (which the OP described as channels which "air over the internet" which is true in one sense but semantically confusing). Yes, some OTA channels also provide a separate stream so a particular channel may be available in both formats. In Roku parlance, "channel" should be thought of as an analog to "app" on a mobile phone, so it is confusing when, unfortunately, the same word means two very different things.

As I understood the OP, the request is for The Roku Channel to support streams that are currently available on other (Roku) channels from other providers. What was requested originally is very unlikely to happen. Since each of the streams may be delivered in a variety of formats (as to user authentication method, data rates, compression, ability to pause, rewind, or forward a (non-live) stream, tags for ad insertion, and so on), the "Roku channel" app can't necessarily know about all the different methods streaming providers may choose to implement a stream.

On many Roku devices, storage can be added via microSD card. And the apps themselves do not take up an inordinate amount of space. Storage is cheap. Coordinating a standard format for different streaming services is as much a business issue as a technical issue. And absent a business model for use of ad inventory, it won't happen at all.

To the OP: the best the friendly community here can offer in this case is a workaround. I'm sorry if my original attempt to be helpful was not received as such.

Ricov7824
Binge Watcher

Your try to talk techno babble im not interested in the behind the scenes of how thing work im just being wish full thinking  ( and i keep saying i already know about other options the list is to long to add ) its simply a question on ROKU i was im ONLY making a suggestion. Will they do it? Probably not. But you can always ask. As i said i didnt need a explanation on the whole behind the scene stuff. I get that.  I am mainly refuring to integrate those tv apps on to Roku tv grid i shouldnt have to hav the stirr app for comet and charge! I shouldnt have to have Roku Tv app for Venn buzzr these are some example of and other OTA channels that air over the internet  these channels can be integrated on roku TV grid. I shouldnt have to have multiple devices sd card, nivida, fire stick, home run, etc etc, im not interested in buying more devices.

0 Kudos