Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmarcoux
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: 5GHz DFS Channel Support

I haven't seen any feature/roadmap promises from Roku.  Roku DGAF?

0 Kudos
EdLaCrosse
Channel Surfer

Not that it will do any good, but please add my name to the list of folks requesting support for DFS.  A couple notes:

First, I don't care about the Roku remote.  I have a TCL Roku TV that supports an IR remote that does everything I need to do.  The way I understand this thread, were it not for the Roku wifi remote, we wouldn't even need to be having this discussion.

Second, I have a BGW320-505 gateway supplied by AT&T.  It does not allow users to change 5G channels.  It broadcasts on two 5G channels simultaneously and occasionally it will broadcast on 2 DFS channels, at which point my TV disconnects from wifi.

My "fix" has been to switch the Roku TV over to the 2.4G band and hope that the congestion there doesn't spoil my TV viewing.  Another option is to go into the BGW's interface and force it to switch 5G channels when my TV disconnects and cross my fingers hoping that it picks at least one non-DFS channel so the TV connects. 

A final option is to buy a router that supports user 5G channel switching and stand it up behind the BGW.  In that case, I'd be hoping to find such a router that could broadcast on two channels so that all my other clients that support DFS can run on a relatively uncongested DFS channel.  (If anyone reading this knows of such a router, please advise.)

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

My ISP is verizon fios what I had to do on my Verizon router is to disable DFS on my router, so my 3 Roku TVs could see the wifi network.

0 Kudos
EdLaCrosse
Channel Surfer

@OwnerofDevices Thanks for the quick reply.

AT&T does not allow users to disable DFS channels on the BGW320-505, so, since it also will not let you choose a 5G channel (or channels), you're stuck with whatever channels the gateway chooses.  Some percentage of the time, it will randomly choose two DFS channels, which causes any Roku device to disconnect. 

I actually like the fact that the BGW supports DFS channels, since they tend to be way less congested than non-DFS channels.  The only devices in my house that can't see a DFS channel are my two Roku TVs.  All the rest of them enjoy relatively uncongested wifi channels.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

With Verizon I can disable DFS by using the my fios app on my phone. Try installing at&t phone app on your phone then try to disable DFS from the app.

0 Kudos
EdLaCrosse
Channel Surfer

Thanks again for the quick response.  You can't disable DFS with the AT&T BGW320-505.  The phone app does not provide any functionality not present in the BGW's web page.

The suggestion over on the AT&T forums is to just connect the TV at 2.4G.  Again, there's lots of congestion here on that band, so we'll see how that goes.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Well at least verizon gives me the option to disable.

0 Kudos
EdLaCrosse
Channel Surfer

Yes, you win that contest!  😀

0 Kudos
sqrammi

This is absolutely nuts that Roku still does not support DFS channels in this day and age. What is going on? Roku, you certainly could have gotten your remotes DFS certified by now. 

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Roku added DFS support on version 12.0. Take, a look what Dan says about what Roku devices support DFS.  https://community.roku.com/t5/Community-discussions/5GHz-UNNI-Channel-Support/m-p/910068#M44696

0 Kudos