Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobT

Roku Ultra - Onkyo TX-RZ740 Loss of HDMI Synch

My setup has an Onkyo TX-RZ740 A/V receiver as the hub. Onkyo audio output is to a Polk 7.0 speaker system. A new Samsung Neo QLED TV is connected to the Onkyo's Monitor output via a quality 4K HDMI cable.  Various input devices are also connected to the Onkyo, including a Roku Ultra that is about 18 months old.  Everything has been working flawlessly until recently when using the Roku to stream music from the internet.

When streaming music I turn the TV to standby to conserve power and the unit.  When the TV goes dark, the audio from the Roku drops for a couple of seconds as the HDMI re-synchs and then returns normally.

Recently however, turning the TV to standby results in intermittent, but repetitive audio interruptions due to loss of HDMI synch with the Onkyo. Once the handshake completes, the audio returns but after a short time the scenario repeats.  Inexplicably, turning the TV on resolves the problem.

I have examined all relevant Roku settings, those of the Onkyo including HDMI pass through and CEC/ARC settings to no avail. I even moved the cable from the Onkyo monitor output to another TV (non-ARC) input to no avail. I did not make any configuration changes prior to the onset of the problem.

Returning from a two week vacation, I noticed that the Roku firmware had updated. I checked the TV but it had not. Then, I started experiencing the above problem. Could it be the updated Roku firmware?

I would surely appreciate any assistance or suggestions from the experts in the Community and will be happy to answer any questions or provide additional information.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
MarkBurnett
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra - Onkyo TX-RZ740 Loss of HDMI Synch

I have a similar problem with my setup.  I have an Onkyo TX-NR6100, with a Samsung 4K, and using a Roku Uktra.  What happens to me is I lose all audio from the Roku to the Onkyo.  I ultimately have to reboot everything to get it to work again.  I noticed that when using the Roku remote to turn up the audio Where it would notmally say Volume on the tv for the Onkyo I get strange YYYYY markings instead or just a white blank screen.  I have replaced the Onkyo and the Roku.  Starting to think it is the Samsung TV... any ideas?

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Ultra - Onkyo TX-RZ740 Loss of HDMI Synch

Similar extremely frustrating issue here, except I'm using a SonyTV.

Roku Ultra --> Onkyo TX-NR6100 --> Sony Bravia XR-A90J  OLED TV

Latest settings:

HDMI Audio Select PCM Fixed modeOff
HDMI CECOn
HDMI Standby ThroughAuto
Audio Return Channel ( eARC supported )On
Auto Lip Sync
On
HDMI 4K / 8K Signal Format (for the input the Roku is on)4K enhanced
HDMI Input (for the Roku input)HDMI 2 (HDCP 2.3)
Limit Mode: eARC - eARCOn
Limit Mode: HDR (Roku input)On
Limit Mode: HDR 10+ (Roku input)On
Limit Mode: Dolby Vision (Roku Input)On
Limit Mode: Deep Color (Roku Input)On
Limit Mode: 3D (Roku Input)On
Limit Mode: DSC (Roku Input)On
Limit Mode: VRR, FVA, ALLM, FRL (Roku Input)On On On On

Watching Youtube or any similar video source on the Roku is enough to make you rip your hair out. When the video changes to the next one, or even goes to a commercial, the Sony goes to a black diamondplate screen with NO SIGNAL displayed. It often does the same upon return from the ad.

The audio doesn't glitch- it usually keeps playing.

After a few seconds, the signal may be properly displayed, or it may take minutes, or it may not display properly until the next commercial comes on, or it may never display. Often, I can hit the Pause button on the Roku remote, and wait a minute, and it might suddenly display properly. Then I can resume playback and watch the rest of it.

I generally miss the start of everything I watch, because this happens every time the main video switches to an ad. YouTube is the worst offender, but by no means the only one.

I have scoured the interwebs, and even asked ChatGPT. No joy at all. They all talk about problem where you can't get any display at all, ever, except for NO SIGNAL. I don't have that problem-- it works ok until the video changes to a commercial or another stream.

I spent a boatload of money on all this equipment, and the performance is bitterly disappointing for this and other reasons.