Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Roku Media Player Does Not Recognize USB Flash Drive

Roku Ultra 4802X.  Roku Media Player will not recognize USB flash drive formated in NTFS.  It did recognize it and play videos fine until several weeks ago, then suddenly not.  I get the help message "Connecting to a DLNA Media Server or USB Device".  When I insert the USB drive into the LG TV usb port, it works fine, as it does on the laptop USB port.  The drive is a 64GB drive which is within the size parameters.  I think (but not sure) the issue happened after a Roku software update. Current software build is 12.5.0 build 4178-C2.   The problem is ROKU and NOT the usb drive.

If this is not the proper community section, please move this  issue to where it should go as I saw no way of posting this anywhere else. 

0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player Does Not Recognize USB Flash Drive

@Infotrack 

Can you get any other drive to be recognized by the 4802?  (ie. try another thumb drive formatted with NTFS to test).

Can also try Removing the Roku Media Player(RMP), Restarting the Roku device, and then Reinstalling the RMP channel/app. (Remove, Restart, Reinstall).

Sometimes just removing the drive, restarting the Roku device, and then reinserting the drive will help RMP to rescan the files.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Thank you so much for your response,  

Yes, I have tried other USB devices in the 4802 port, same result.

I have also tried the other two suggestions, rebooting and deleting the RMP  exactly as you have suggested but again, same result.  Don't know what to do next.   I have an older Roku Ultra 46?? device that I tried it on, with the same roku software version, with the same result.  If I knew how to go back to an older software version on the 4802 I would try that, but I don't see a way of doing that.

Any suggestions?  Please?  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Infotrack 

Ran a couple different USB flash drives formatted to both NTFS and FAT32 on the Ultra 4660 (OS 12.5 build 4178-46) and worked fine.  Met with the new message re: allowing the device access to the USB).

Could certainly be the 4178-C2 build if happening across different flash drives and your previous one was working prior to the build update.

Does formatting another flash drive to FAT32 offer same results as the NTFS?

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

That is a good question.  Have not tried FAT32.  Will try it today and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Just tried a FAT32 usb flash drive.  Nope.  Exactly the same result.  I guess that makes me even more convinced it is the software update, but willing to try other ideas.  Makes me wonder if Roku is the way to go any more.  Sure don't get much support from them.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Infotrack 

There was an early issue some users reported with mp4 when 12.5 initially released, but those seemed to have been addressed with a subsequent build. (essentially, some mp4 were not being recognized by RMP).  Therefore, if all your files were in that particular mp4 container, they would not be recognized and RMP would see an empty flash drive (or drive with incompatible formats), thus prompting that error/help message.

I did see some developer update somewhere that wma format has now been officially dropped so they would not be seen at all anymore.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754908

-----

It does sound like though that your Roku device is simply failing to detect a USB presence when you insert the flash drive. (could indicate either software or hardware issue).

I think I would try the Factory Reset option to see if that helps clear out any corruption.  Press and hold Reset button for 30+ seconds. (just make sure you have a working physical Roku remote before performing a factory reset).

After performing the Factory Reset, if USB detection is still a no-go, I would see if RMP can detect/play movies through a DLNA server. (ie. if your router is so equipped, you can place the USB in its USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port and enable the DLNA server or UPnP and see if RMP sees and plays the videos).  At least then can help narrow issue if RMP issue.

You could also try using Plex or Jellyfin installed on a laptop and try the same thing.  Run it as a DLNA server and see if RMP recognizes the DLNA server and plays the videos.

----

I just inserted empty USB drives (formatted to both NTSF and FAT32.)  I was greeted with the message box "Allow access to External Media" when I was on the Home Screen.  The drive does not show up at all when I go to RMP. (no message regarding the help on setting up DLNA server).  I usually only get that message with RMP loses communication with my router mounted USB drives.

Having a bit of difficulty creating the issue you are seeing.

If after running through the above steps, can you try just placing a single .mkv and single .mp4 (smaller video files) on the flash drive formatted to NTSF and see if RMP sees either of them.  And also, are you not receiving the message re: Allow access to External Media" when you are inserting the drive into the Roku device?

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

BTW, I have tried many other things, such as resetting the Roku Ultra to Factory Settings, deleting the RMP app then reinstalling it and plugging the USB flash drive back into the port, etc.  The SAME USB flash drives work absolutely fine on the LG tv's usb port, as well as on my laptop, so the drive is not corrupted.  At a suggestion on here, I tried a flash drive formatted as FAT32 and it was the exact same result.  The problem started on my 46?? Roku Ultra, then I got the 4802 Ultra and as soon as it updated the same problem.  I am becoming more and more convinced the problem lies with Roku's updates.  I am extremely disappointed in Roku support.  I doubt I will ever purchase another Roku device.

conker
Channel Surfer

I have the same issue on a TCL R655 Roku TV.

USB flash drive worked fine on the TV a few months ago, and now it doesn't.

The flash drive is fine and works in multiple other devices. I've refirmatted it as NTFS then back to exFAT. I've hard power cycled the TV as well.

Roku Media Player simply doesn't detect the flash drive when it's plugged in.  I am manually launching Roku Media Player and checking. My network sources and media are all fine in RMP.

I think 12.5 or some other recent update busted USB support on some TVs.

0 Kudos
UHshepp
Binge Watcher

I have the exact same issue and just like OP... it WAS working fine and now it's not working at all on ALL OF MY ROKU Devices.  

It worked on all previously, now it works on NONE.

The external hard drive works everywhere else (Laptop, Desktop, etc.).

I did extensive troubleshooting as well matching the previous people and still nothing.

0 Kudos