Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LGTrader
Reel Rookie

Roku 3 - White screen/clicking sound on some YouTube videos

Jump to solution

Recently - say the last 2-3 months - some videos on YouTube do not play but rather just give me a dull white screen with clicking noises. The screen isn't completely dead - if the YouTube video is sponsored I might see the text "Includes paid information" or other such text, but the video doesn't play. If I back out and try 2 or 3 more times once in awhile it will play but generally doesn't. Other YouTube videos play fine.

The unit has no problems with other services - NetFlix, Prime VIdeo, PBS, Plex, Pluto, CBS, SkyNews, The Roku Channel and a few others. All work 100% of the time. Only problem is YouTube.

I should also add that we don't see this problem on our newer TCL Roku TV when looking at the same videos.

I'm wondering if YouTube is now encoding some videos in a way that make the X4200 unreliable? Has anyone else had this problem? I did not find an exact duplicate description looking around here. Possibly the unit is dying but being that every other service works perfectly it feels a bit more like some software spec change than hardware.

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku 3 - White screen/clicking sound on some YouTube videos

Jump to solution

Hi @LGTrader and welcome to the Roku Community.

The 4200x Roku 3 is a great little device, but it was released about 10 years ago in March of 2013. It's possible that newer codecs on YouTube may not be playing as well with it. You could reach out to YouTube directly to enquire, as channels maintain their own Roku packages. The Roku 3 does still receive OS and channel updates.

If it's time to replace the device, on your Roku 3, navigate to My Offers on your home screen and see if there are any personalized offers for a new Roku player for you. 

Make sure your Roku 3 is on the latest channel and OS version by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Questions? Let us know!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @LGTrader and welcome to the Roku Community.

The 4200x Roku 3 is a great little device, but it was released about 10 years ago in March of 2013. It's possible that newer codecs on YouTube may not be playing as well with it. You could reach out to YouTube directly to enquire, as channels maintain their own Roku packages. The Roku 3 does still receive OS and channel updates.

If it's time to replace the device, on your Roku 3, navigate to My Offers on your home screen and see if there are any personalized offers for a new Roku player for you. 

Make sure your Roku 3 is on the latest channel and OS version by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Questions? Let us know!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
LGTrader
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've sent a report to YouTube but who knows if they will respond.

As all other channel apps on the Roku3 work perfectly I don't think it's likely that the unit has failed in some way and I guess after 10 years I would probably enjoy whatever upgrades have come along but I will communicate that the way Roku advertises these devices leaves me scratching my forehead about which to purchase.

Anyway, we'll see if YouTube owns up to anything. Last evening about 30% of the videos I wanted to watch - mostly news and daily event stuff - failed.

0 Kudos
FLTXGA

Jump to solution

The same thing just started happening to me using the same equipment I had for the last 3 years (including an older ROKU 3). The only difference was relocating to a different state and different ISP. I have both Spectrum and Comcast in multiple states. It only began happening with my Comcast ISP in the last month. I thought it was a ROKU problem but it also happens on my Apple TV 4K in the same Comcast house. The Apple TV 4K locks up and I have to power off/on the TV to regain control. However, both ROKU and Apple TV 4K will play the video if I close out YouTube and re-open it. I am suspecting Comcast is at fault in some way. I also have interruptions streaming music simultaneously on different devices in the Comcast home. Haven’t had the same problem in 2 different Spectrum homes. I am seriously disappointed because I hate Spectrum and was thrilled to have Comcast again.

0 Kudos