Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angievtoac
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO max not working

Jump to solution

It's not fixed yet, keeps happening to me.

0 Kudos
Angievtoac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It keeps happening...

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Angievtoac,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Have you tried the solution that was previously posted? Could you please verify if you getting any error messages/codes when you are trying to access HBO Max?

As a first step, try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jeffrey1959
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO max not working - Only listed option not possible

Jump to solution

The ONLY solution list is one that is not possible. If HBOMax is subscribed through ROKU, then the menu option to Remove Channel does not exist.
Kindly provide us with a REAL solution please.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: HBO max not working - Only listed option not possible

Jump to solution

@Jeffrey1959 wrote:

The ONLY solution list is one that is not possible. If HBOMax is subscribed through ROKU, then the menu option to Remove Channel does not exist.
Kindly provide us with a REAL solution please.

You can cancel your subscription (you'll still have the remainder of your time) and then reinstall, then re-subscribe (I recommend doing it directly from HBO Max):

1)  Cancel subscription:  https://my.roku.com/account/subscriptions

2)  Reinstall HBO Max:

1) Remove the HBO Max app (Highlight the app, press the Options (*) button on the remote, then Remove)

2) RESTART the Roku (Settings/System/System restart/Restart) <-- MUST DO THIS HERE!!!

3) Re-install the HBO Max app

(If you dont restart after removal, settings/cached data associated with the app are left behind and it wont be a clean re-install)

3) Resubscribe to HBO Max

0 Kudos
llroberts
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO max not working - Unknown Error contact my TV provider.

Jump to solution

I am getting this message on my Roku TV.  It works just fine on my other tv that has the Roku Ultra.  I also cannot remove the channel because I subscribed to it with Roku pay.  The only option I have is to cancel my subscription and I don't really want to do that.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HBO max not working - Unknown Error contact my TV provider.

Jump to solution

@llroberts wrote:

The only option I have is to cancel my subscription and I don't really want to do that.

When you cancel, that just stops it from automatically renewing when your pre-paid subscription period expires.  You'll still have use of the app until that expiration occurs.  You can always re-subscribe later if you wish.

When resubscribing, if you wish to make channel maintenance issues like this easier to deal with, I'd suggest re-subscribing directly with HBO Max instead of through Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SWBump

HBOmax won't work and keeps telling me to close

Jump to solution

An unknown problem occurred. Please contact your TV provider. 

My ROKU is up to date on the software, HBOmax is up to date....

Scott

0 Kudos
yinc

Re: HBO Max: An unknown error has occurred. Please contact TV provider

Jump to solution

This is still not working.

HBO just came off of Prime and I was asked start a subscription through Roku when I tried to start the channel. The app opens without a problem and lets me see the selections and descriptions. When I try to play an item, it throws the error: "Close HBO Max An unknown problem occurred. Please contact your TV provider."

I have tried to cancel the subscription in order to uninstall and reinstall the channel. Even though Roku says, with the cancelled subscription, you have access until [renewal date], the channel throws the unknown problem error when you try to open it. When I restarted the subscription, the channel lets me in but then throws the error when I try to play an item.

0 Kudos
yinc

Re: HBO Max: An unknown error has occurred. Please contact TV provider

Jump to solution

Update: I followed the instructions on HBO's page: log in with Roku and found out that, with my HBO Max channel open, in the main profile, I had to sign out of HBO Max with the email I used with Prime, then it was able to detect that I had a Roku-billed account. THEN, I had to create a NEW HBO account with a DIFFERENT email from the one I had used with my Prime account.

Now it works. This is ridiculous. Even doing a factory reset on my Roku TV didn't resolve it.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.