Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaimemrknapp
Reel Rookie

Continue watching varies by stream

Jump to solution

When after streaming multiple episodes. hitting Pause then Back, I have seen some channels will indicate the current episode as the one I started at and others the correct episode I was on when I paused. This also seems to effect where it would begin if I select Resume Watching. Notably BritBox seems to always work properly, but Discovery+ and MotorTrend+ seem inconsistent as to what episode is displayed on Resume.

Is this controlled by the Roku app itself or is it subject to the content's app?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Continue watching varies by stream

Jump to solution

@jaimemrknapp 

Thanks for clarifying.

What you're asking about is controlled from within the apps, as you suspected. The device itself doesn't figure into it. It displays whatever the app says to display. There's no onboard database or record of what is playing on each app, except where an app may store that locally. Which still means it's the app that controls it. So, no, the Roku itself doesn't track anything like that. It just does what the app says to do.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaimemrknappwrote:
... Is this controlled by the Roku app itself or is it subject to the content's app?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean Roku's app vs Content's app? What app are you using? How are you figuring two apps in the mix? I'm trying to understand the question.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jaimemrknapp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry for the confusion, I am using two Roku Express, one 4K Stick and one 4K Ultra. I should not have referred to the Roku operating system, firmware, whatever as an app. BritBox, Discovery+, etc. are the installed apps. So the question is whether the resume operation is controlled solely by the Roku and the data it maintains in my account, by the app that is in use, or some combination thereof. My Roku account must maintain some record of my viewing, but I do not know if the apps do as well.

It is really just an annoyance when I fall asleep during a season and have no good idea of where I am when I wake up. As a side not of this, some apps will continue viewing into the next season and others stop at the end of a season.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaimemrknapp 

Thanks for clarifying.

What you're asking about is controlled from within the apps, as you suspected. The device itself doesn't figure into it. It displays whatever the app says to display. There's no onboard database or record of what is playing on each app, except where an app may store that locally. Which still means it's the app that controls it. So, no, the Roku itself doesn't track anything like that. It just does what the app says to do.

DBDukes

jaimemrknapp
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos