Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laser3kw
Binge Watcher

Another Roku not allowing the use of VPN with "live" content

Jump to solution

Greetings to all

I have been using my Roku Ultra 4800 and my Roku 3 4200 for a few years now - with no ongoing problems - until a couple of months ago.

I did experience occasions when I could not view a few "live" content programs (on the Roku Channel) but switching servers on my ExpressVpn would cure it.

A few months ago, this problem expanded and now I can not watch any "live" content on any channel. I have tried reboots, updates, deleting / reinstalling with no help. If I turn off my VPN - voila' - live content plays. Turn VPN back on - content stops. Exception: on the Roku Channel, selected content, I can shut off VPN to initialize and get content to play and then turn my VPN back on and content continues - until I switch to another program and then I have to shut off my VPN yada, yada, yada.

This only happens with "live" content. I can leave my VPN on and switch from program to program as long as it is not "live". This has to do with something on the Roku IT side as it just started happening recently and it seems others experience it and are frustrated from the lack of attention it is getting.

Please Roku, give this the attention it needs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Another Roku not allowing the use of VPN with "live" content

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Due to content geolocation restrictions, VPNs may cause some content to have playback issues, or not playback at all. To resolve this, ensure your Roku device is not using the VPN network.

Happy Streaming!
Roku Customer Support

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Due to content geolocation restrictions, VPNs may cause some content to have playback issues, or not playback at all. To resolve this, ensure your Roku device is not using the VPN network.

Happy Streaming!
Roku Customer Support

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
laser3kw
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case here. I have had my Roku's for a few years and they have always worked with my ExpressVpn. I have always been able to view live content, as well as other on demand content, from any other their USA based servers and have use several other servers in Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Toronto, Mexico. I don't need to use the servers outside the USA, but it's nice to know that it works.

I have not had any trouble using my ExpressVpn (for over 3 years) until about 8 weeks ago. I figured that there was an update with a bug in it that fouled up the live channels. I was hoping it would be caught  and fixed by now.

Why would the Roku Channel (as well as other independent channels offering "live content") have "geolocation restrictions" to view USA content in the USA? If it were a "geolocation restrictions", why does it affect only live content and not all the other content? On the Roku Channel live content, I can turn off my VPN, start viewing a program on any channel 100-1000, once the program starts playing, turn the VPN back on and continue to watch all day if needed. But if I switch from the viewing channel to another channel on the Roku channel, then I have to turn off the VPN, let the program start then turn it back on.

So, that tells me there has been a recent change that is a bug.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@laser3kw wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case here. I have had my Roku's for a few years and they have always worked with my ExpressVpn. I have always been able to view live content, as well as other on demand content, from any other their USA based servers and have use several other servers in Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Toronto, Mexico. I don't need to use the servers outside the USA, but it's nice to know that it works.

I have not had any trouble using my ExpressVpn (for over 3 years) until about 8 weeks ago. I figured that there was an update with a bug in it that fouled up the live channels. I was hoping it would be caught  and fixed by now.

Why would the Roku Channel (as well as other independent channels offering "live content") have "geolocation restrictions" to view USA content in the USA? If it were a "geolocation restrictions", why does it affect only live content and not all the other content? On the Roku Channel live content, I can turn off my VPN, start viewing a program on any channel 100-1000, once the program starts playing, turn the VPN back on and continue to watch all day if needed. But if I switch from the viewing channel to another channel on the Roku channel, then I have to turn off the VPN, let the program start then turn it back on.

So, that tells me there has been a recent change that is a bug.

I can understand the frustration. VPNs are not supported. It sounds like it worked in the past and is no longer working. Content providers continually update security measures to prevent unauthorized viewing, and it's possible a change was made that prevents your VPN from working. This is by design and intended, but using your standard ISP without the VPN will be the solution here. Thanks for understanding.

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.