Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G-Phunk007

Use mobile APP with LAN Connected Roku Ultra

Hello, I would prefer to use the LAN connection with My Roku Ultra.  The WiFi is usually good, but there can be a lot of interference that degrades the streaming performance.  Is it possible to use the Mobile app via iPhone to an Ultra connected via Ethernet?

If my Ultra is using the Wireless connection, the mobile app works well, just some lag or delays with streaming.  If My Ultra is using the Ethernet Connection, i can't use the Mobile app to control my Ultra.  It would be amazing if I could use the Mobile app, with an Ethernet connected Ultra.

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use mobile APP with LAN Connected Roku Ultra

As long as they're both connected to the same network (wired or wireless), it should work, so it's probably a setting in your router/access point that's preventing wired and wireless clients from communicating with each other.  Look through your router's settings for something like "client isolation".  You can post the manufacturer and model number of your router if you need more help.

Additionally, if you're Wi-Fi is set up as a "Guest" network, anything connected to Wi-Fi won't be able to communicate with anything with a wired connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
G-Phunk007

Thanks for your response @renojim, I don't have AP isolation or Guest WiFi enabled on my router (ASUS GT-AC5300). But I like where your thoughts were...I may just need to add a port forwarding rule to my router for the Roku.  I do have lots of other devices controlled by my Ipad that are connected via Ethernet on the same network.  Using the Yamaha App on Iphone to control inputs and volume levels on my Ethernet connected AMPs.  I wonder if anyone has been able to make this type of connection work?  

0 Kudos
renojim

Before I posted my response I made sure I could connect to my wired Ultra.  I just tried it again and while I initially had a problem, disconnecting and reconnecting my phone to the Wi-Fi network cleared it up.  Given all the wired devices that you can connect to, I can't think of any reason why you can't connect to your Ultra.  @AvsGunnar is more knowledgeable than me when it comes to network issues, so maybe he has some ideas.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@G-Phunk007 

As @renojim indicated, as long as your phone and Roku device are on the same network and you are sure that the ethernet devices use the same IP pool as your wireless devices, you should be able to use the mobile app to interact with your wired Roku. (I do, and can also confirm it works).

If your wireless devices (and phone) are on network 192.168.1.0, just make sure your wired devices are also using the 192.168.1.xxx subnet. (ie. make sure your wired is not using 192.168.2.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx or similar).

You can see your wired Roku address under Settings/Network/About.

When you open the mobile app and select "Devices", try selecting the "Need Help?" (purple text) and  manually entering the IP address of your wired Ultra.

As far as I remember UDP 1900 is responsible for device discovery by the mobile app, and TCP 8060 is responsible for the remote feature of the mobile app. (However, if you are discovering fine during wifi, then assume these ports are already open.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.