Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adish11

Use Streambar as an audio-only device?

I am thinking of getting a Streambar for a small bedroom and use it for audio only. My idea is to mostly cast Spotify to it, but I have heard that it will not work without a display plugged in and turned on. I am also considering plugging in a blu-ray player via HDMI to play CDs. Would this work? I know the intention is for the HDMI to be used with a TV's HDMI ARC, so would it work to have a device inputting audio directly over HDMI?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use Streambar as an audio-only device?

For the first question, I've used an "HDMI Dummy Plug" like this to experiment with my Streambar and I believe it would work for what you want to do.  I was going to do something similar for playing music, but I never got around to setting the whole thing up.  I was able to connect the dummy plug and then blindly navigate to my music app and get it to play, but I didn't try casting.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  There was also a similar question regarding turning off the TV and keeping the Streambar from stopping whatever it was doing and returning to the Home Screen.  I believe a powered HDMI switch worked in that case.

Using the audio return channel sounds interesting for connecting another device, but I would think it requires some kind of adapter.  I don't know if such a thing exists.  I don't think connecting the Blu-ray player's output directly to the HDMI output of the Streambar is going to work and I'd be a little afraid to try connecting two outputs together.  You could get an HDMI audio extractor that has an optical output and connect to the Streambar via its optical input.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos