Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alpaca86
Channel Surfer

Use Roku Stick with Monitor - Powering off

I'm trying to use a Roku stick (Streaming Stick+) with a monitor, and am looking to find a solution to power off the monitor remotely - help appreciated

This must be a reasonably common problem, but I've had a good search of the message board and haven't been able to find a solution. I've explored a few solutions, each with a fundamental drawback:

A. Custom black screensaver, but that means the monitor is always on - and consuming 35 Watts - rather than actually going into standby mode.

B. RF-controlled power socket - these appear to be on different frequencies, so require their own dedicated remote

C. Wifi/Alexa controlled socket - I'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible and do not want to use voice control.  

D. Purchase a new TV - The monitor I'm trying to use is now a spare, and I've not been able to find a decent, 1080p TV which is 25" or smaller (we're trying to set this up in the kitchen).

What have I missed?!

My understanding is that:

1. unlike on my TV, the power button on the Roku remote doesn't communicate with the monitor in any way (either directly via RF or indirectly via CEC) 

2. the monitor (a Dell U2515) goes into sleep mode ("Active-off") once the input stops

3. there is however no way of turning off the Roku stick - it starts its screensaver after a few minutes of idle.

4. the monitor doesn't ever go into sleep mode because it is still receiving an output from the Roku

Thanks in advance for help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Use Roku Stick with Monitor - Powering off

Does the stick have a "power saving" mode under Settings->System->Power?  That might get the monitor to go into sleep mode after 20 minutes of inactivity, but I don't know which Roku devices have that setting.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Alpaca86
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply 🙂

That would be good, but I don't have that option unfortunately. 

According to this link, that's only an option on Roku 4 - https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/231541927

0 Kudos
renojim

That's a different thing.  Roku 4 devices actually powered off.  No other Roku device does that, but some do have a "power saving" option.  I don't know of a list that specifies which ones do or don't.  I know for sure that the 480x Ultra models do.  Other than possibly "power saving", I don't believe there's any way to shut off the video signal.

Can I suggest a Clapper😁

makaiguy

https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575 lists the following as having the Power Savings feature:
 Roku Express 4K  3940 
 Roku Express 4K+  3941 
 Roku Streaming Stick® 4K  3820 
 Roku Streaming Stick 4K+  3821 
 Roku 4  4400 
 Roku Ultra  4800 
 Roku Ultra LT  4801 

As I write this, the article has not been updated since 7/1/2022 so some newer models (e.g. Ultra 4802) may have the feature as well.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Alpaca86
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the replies - yes, "power saving" should be enough for me.

My existing Roku (Streaming Stick+) isn't in the list so that's at least consistent with the lack of option for me.

I'm thinking to get a Roku Streambar (to deal with the audio too, rather than routing via the monitor's 3.5mm jack) - that's not on the list above as having power saving (although maybe it's too recent?).

Do you happen to know if it does have this function?

0 Kudos
renojim

@Alpaca86, I have one, but I won't be able to check it for a few days.  @makaiguy , do you know?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@renojim& @Alpaca86 -

I don't have any of the Streambar models, but this is what I've been able to dig up.

Per this Wikipedia chart:

Roku Streambar 9102 was first released October 2020.
Roku Streambar Pro 9101 was first released May 2021.
(Not sure I understand 9101 coming out after 9102.  The specs on the inner workings seem similar, but the Pro is larger with more speakers and better bass.  Both have a Voice Remote, but the Pro's remote adds an earphone jack and two buttons that can be programmed to voice commands, but is not rechargeable like a Voice Remote Pro.)

At any rate, both release dates are more than a year prior to the July 2022 date of the article cited above, so I'd guess they do not have the "power saving" feature.  If there is no Power option under Settings > System that confirms the absence of that feature.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Alpaca86
Channel Surfer

Thank you again both for replies and the helpful info - sounds highly unlikely it has that feature.

@renojim if you are able to check when you get a chance that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
renojim

@Alpaca86, sorry, my 9102 Streambar does not have the "power saving" option.

0 Kudos