Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r_piddy
Channel Surfer

Roku keeps resetting after turning TV off

I recently purchased a new Samsung TV and am having issues with my Roku Streaming Stick losing power and turning off/resetting after the TV has been turned off for a while. I tried plugging the Roku USB into the wall power as I was having the issue while using the TV USB and I am still having the issue. I have done a hard reset on the stick and gone through the process of re-adding it three times and nothing works. When I had my old LG TV I had the USB plugged into the TV and never had a single issue. Now whenever I turn my TV on, I get a message asking if there is power to the ROKU and it takes the TV a considerable amount of time to get itself sorted out. Would like to be able to just turn my TV on and have it work right.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku keeps resetting after turning TV off

Hi @r_piddy,

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your issues with your Roku Streaming Stick losing power and turning off or resetting. Please follow the steps below:

1. Verify that you are using the USB cable that came with your Roku Streaming Stick. If you are using any USB cable other than the one that came with your streaming player, replace it with the one that came with your player.
  2. Try a different USB port. Some USB ports have different power characteristics. Connecting your streaming player to a different USB port on your TV may resolve the issue.
  3. Connect power to a power outlet. Using the included USB cable and USB power adaptor (if included), connect your Roku Streaming Stick to a working power outlet in the wall. If your Roku Streaming Stick did not come with a USB power adaptor, see our article on powering your streaming player. Connecting to a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku Streaming Stick will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

If the issue persists, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
r_piddy
Channel Surfer

I don't know if the USB cable I'm using is the one that came with it, it's the only USB to USB I could find in my house. If it is not the right one, is there a way to replace it?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @r_piddy,

Thanks for the quick response!

Please try all the steps above first and check out the support article we posted. When and where did you purchase your Roku streaming stick, by the way? Let us know so we can assist you further.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
r_piddy
Channel Surfer

I have tried all of those steps. I have connected it to every USB port accessible. I bought it at Best Buy maybe 3 years ago

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@r_piddy   If everything is working fine once the stick gets started, try hitting the home button on the Roku remote instead of the power button to start your veiwing session.  The power button simply turns on the TV and not the Roku.  The home button should activate the Roku and power on your TV.

0 Kudos
r_piddy
Channel Surfer

Once I use the Roku remote to turn the TV on, the remote won't work again until it's done resetting

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @r_piddy,
We appreciate you keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
Please ensure you try a different power adaptor, HDMI cable, power outlet, and USB cable. We also suggest that you plug it directly into the wall outlet and not through a power strip or at the back of the TV in order for it to get enough power. Also, since you purchased it from Best Buy about three years ago, please check here or stores near you for our available accessories if you ever decide to purchase one.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@r_piddy I don't know what you my mean by resetting.  Is the Roku or TV resetting?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@r_piddy Also go to settings, system, control other devices, and make sure 1 touch play is checked.  It may also help if we know what device you have.  Go to settings, about, Is this a streaming stick plus?

0 Kudos