Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordan5566

Roku Won’t Reset, I’ve tried everything!

My sister and I bought a Roku stick for her TV in her room a few months ago. But she’s since changed TVs so now it’s going in my room. The issue is that the stick isn’t connecting to the TV at all, I don’t know what the issue is. It has power and the HDMI cable works. When you plug it in for the first time, the Roku loading screen plays but then nothing. Completely black. The lights on the Roku stick are on so it has power. The only resolves I get online are to reset it. But the thing won’t reset either. I’ve held down the reset button for maybe more than a minute but still no flashing lights. Took the batteries out of the remote and waited several minutes. Unplugged the device from the TV and the wall, waiting and then plugged it all back in. Even using the reset instructions on the remote (the remote does not have a power button). Nothing works. I can’t even reset the stick. Extremely angered as this is the second Roku branded product I have purchased to have completely become nonfunctional within a year. Beginning to think Roku is just a **bleep** brand to buy device related items from. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Won’t Reset, I’ve tried everything!

What's the model number written on the device somewhere?  If there's no power button on the remote then it's most likely a simple remote or an old RF remote, but if it's only a few months old then that rules out an old RF remote.  If there's an HDMI cable involved (other than the very short HDMI extender cable), then it's not a stick.  Sticks plug directly into the TV without the need for an HDMI cable.  The reason that distinction is important is that only certain remotes work with sticks, but that's not the problem here.

It's not clear if you've inherited both the Roku device and the TV or just the Roku device.  Can you try it on another TV?  I'm not sure why the factory reset isn't working.  With the power connected (that's key), press and hold the reset button for no less than 30 seconds.  A short press of the button should cause the device to restart, so if you're not seeing that then either you're not actually pressing the button or the button is faulty.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RockyUser

Re: Roku Won’t Reset, I’ve tried everything!

I have an older Roku stick with an LG tv. Worked fine for a long time. I recently plugged it into a different tv (on vacation) and it initially worked, then didn’t. Back home, it wouldn’t work with the original LG. It did turn on with remote but no signal. I tried all the usual suggestions, including factory reset button which didn’t seem to work either. Finally, with the stick still on/light on, I unplugged it from the HDMI. The light blinked a number of times. When it stopped blinking, I plugged it back into the HDMI and it worked. Didn’t appear to factory reset because it had all of the apps still loaded/working, “what to watch” memory still in tact. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos