Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wxwise

How to check or change city location

My device seems to think I am in a city other than the one in which I live.  I have entered my zip code, but that doesn't appear to fix the issue.  Other posts on this seem to avoid a clear and concise answer.  Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to check or change city location

@wxwise 

You may have to figure out if the Roku device/account thinks you are in a different city, or whether a particular channel/app (or service like TV provider) thinks you are in a different city.

Sometimes these channels/apps/services use a billing address as your city, or sometimes just use the nearest city in its services.  Others use the IP address in its determination.

You can start by seeing what your IP address is reporting as your city location.

basic info: https://www.whatismyip.com/

more extensive info: https://ipleak.net/

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

rpcurt
Channel Surfer

You did not tell us how to change location

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @rpcurt

If you want to update the name and location of your Roku streaming device after the initial setup process, you can do so from your Roku account or the Roku mobile app.

How to update the name and location of your Roku device:

• Go to my.roku.com on your computer or smartphone.
  • Sign into your Roku account if prompted.
  • Go to My linked devices.
  • Select the Pencil next to the name or location you wish to change.
  • Follow the prompt and enter the new name and location.
  • Select Update to save changes.

For more information about how to update the location of your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How to update the name and location of your Roku device | Official Roku Support.

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
denontremblay
Reel Rookie

Lianna, 

Your answer isn't in the same ballpark as the question posed. The problem is that some roku devices think they're in a different city and that causes problems with streaming services. That was clearly stated in the OP. Then you come in with "how to change the label location for where in the house your device is".... 

I'm also needing to know how to address the mis-information on city location due to IP addresses that are fixed in cities rather than where you reside.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @denontremblay,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you would like to change the incorrect location on your Roku device. We'd like to know more about how we can help but we need more details.

Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

• Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Do you receive any error codes or messages? If yes, please let us know.
  • Where are you currently located?
  • What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
denontremblay
Reel Rookie

There is no error code.

This happens on the fox now app, and Hulu live streaming.

I live in florida, and I'm getting Bellevue Washington Fox as my local for example. That's because the IP address assigned by T-Mobile's home internet is registered in Bellevue washington.

I understand this is because of the city location the IP address is registered to that t-mobile, our internet provider for our home internet gives us, however this seems to be an emerging issues since home-based mobile internet is becoming more popular and widely available.

There are no error message, there's nothing I can do to resolve this. I've contacted t-mobile, it's not going to happen. Your support earlier suggested that I call T-Mobile and have them register my IP address to florida. It's dynamic, it changes regularly, this is the way that these IPS are working. It seems to me that between Roku and these mobile ips, you guys need to meet up the minds and resolve this issue.

I spoke with your support earlier and it was painful that this person was even involved in your support.

I spoke to other people who have similar issues.

Some apps, I believe use your credit card billing for your apps determination of which local TV stations you will get.

Regardless of all of this, it's something that you guys need to take serious attention to. Broadcasting locals into the incorrect market is federally against the law. I just would like to get my local stations, and not have to pick one up three hours behind me in a city I don't live in.

If you need any more details, please let me know.