Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffw_00
Reel Rookie

Disappointed how hard it is to migrate to a new player

I just upgraded from a Roku2 to a Roku Ultra LT.  I had assumed there would be a turnkey way to migrate everything to the new player (I mean, people have to do this all the time, and I assume Roku WANTS to encourage people to buy the latest hardware by making it easy to migrate...)  I was disappointed to discover that I had to set up the home screen, and all my login/passwords, again, for multiple services. 

Hey Roku!  Make this easy and I might upgrade more often!

/j

6 REPLIES 6
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Disappointed how hard it is to migrate to a new player

Screen layout is always device-independent. If you use the same Roku account, your channels will copy over. Logins may or may not copy over. It depends on deals made with the various services. Roku doesn't always have access to login information.

That Roku 2 was very ancient, and even the Ultra LT is 3 years old.

0 Kudos
jeffw_00
Reel Rookie

Actually, the current incarnation of the Roku Ultra LT (2GB, no MicroSD slot) is only a year old.  Still it appears that it is about to be discontinued (removed from the Roku site as a current product this week), so if you want wired connectivity at a great price ($43 at Walmart) grab it now - glad I did!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

The Ultra LT is a Walmart exclusive deal with Roku so can always find them there.  The $43 price tag is a very good deal though so definitely worth picking up. (even if turns out you have the 4662).

The Ultra LT 4662 is a 2019 model.  The Ultra LT 4801 is a 2021 model.

You can see what model yours is through Settings/System/About.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra-lt

---

I believe the Roku website used to always point to Walmart for the Ultra LT.  They used to have some Best Buy exclusive models as well, but seems that partnership ended a couple of years ago.  Website used to say "Exclusively at Best Buy" or similar language.

Other than missing the USB port for local file storage playback and the difference in the remotes, the Ultra LT is nearly identical to the corresponding Ultra models.  With all the different methods available to get local playback through the Roku device now, or directly to the connected TV, the USB feature (although nice to have), is really no longer a necessity.

https://www.roku.com/products/compare#sku=4801RW&4802R

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jeffw_00
Reel Rookie

Picked up a 4801 for $43.  Roku website did point to Walmart, but yesterday I tried to do a compare-models and the Ultra LT didn't appear as an option (that page is weird, the Express 4K+ also doesn't appear)

Thanks

/j

Now if I could only get the LED to turn off when the rest of the system is off - appears it's a known bug in the latest FW release 😞

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jeffw_00 

If you have already disabled the Power Saving feature (Settings/System/Power/Power Savings/20-min [uncheck to Disable] ) and that did not resolve issue, I believe users have indicated that disabling the Screensaver seems to disable the light. (Settings/Theme/Screensaver Start Time/[Disable Screensaver] ).

I think the bug was introduced in one of the 11.5 build updates and seems to affect the 480x models.

If all else fails, use a piece or tape or put something in front of the light.  The remote is RF so does not need to see the actual player to communicate.

Also, make sure you are pressing Home on your remote after finished streaming.  That returns you to Home stream and stops streaming activity and starts timer for device entering the sleep mode eventually. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jeffw_00
Reel Rookie

Thanks - but neither setting change (nor both together) addressed it - Apparently they know about it so hopefully it will be fixed soon.  I also use an integrated Harmony remote so I need the IR to work 🙂   Thanks!

/j