Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamin_meanie
Reel Rookie

Upgrade my Roku 4230X and if so to which model?

I have an old Roku 3 player (4230x) and I can't find info about my issue. I am trying to stream TV and periodically have lag and pixelations on screen; I wonder if the old model is contributing to the issue. I recently upgraded from 100 mbps to 200, and am waiting for 500 mbps to be available. I assume that may be part of the issue.

Still I wonder if upgrading Roku to a new one would help, and if so, which one makes the most sense for me. I don't do any gaming, and my TV (6-10 years old) is a flat screen with HDMI ports; still, would like Roku to work with a "smarter" TV when I replace it. I stream Apple TV+, Hulu, and Netflix.

Of course the Roku comparisons I've seen online don't show my player (it's too old!) to compare features with any of the current models.

Your help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgrade my Roku 4230X and if so to which model?

@Streamin_meanie wrote:

I have an old Roku 3 player (4230x) and I can't find info about my issue. I am trying to stream TV and periodically have lag and pixelations on screen; I wonder if the old model is contributing to the issue. I recently upgraded from 100 mbps to 200, and am waiting for 500 mbps to be available. I assume that may be part of the issue....

Unlikely. You should be able to stream with 25 Mbps just fine with that device. Higher speeds put money in the ISP's pocket and don't improve streaming.

@Streamin_meanie wrote:

... Still I wonder if upgrading Roku to a new one would help, and if so, which one makes the most sense for me. I don't do any gaming, and my TV (6-10 years old) is a flat screen with HDMI ports; still, would like Roku to work with a "smarter" TV when I replace it. I stream Apple TV+, Hulu, and Netflix....

The Roku 3 was replaced in the lineup with the Ultra. It should give years of good service.

Now, if you were thinking about upgrading the sound, the Streambar or Streambar Pro might be an option. Same processor as the Ultra.

As for your Roku 3, if you have a microSD card installed, remove it and see if that helps. Some weird things have happened over the years with that, and simply removing it might clear it up. I expect not, and that your conclusion that's its time to replace an 8 year old device is correct, but it's easy to check and may extend the life even longer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."