Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspect Ratio, please add option.

My question should be a simple one. But it overlooked because of newer tvs. Would you, roku engineers, please add an aspect ratio back to the menu options for the newer roku players. I have an old 4:3 tv hooked up to a roku with an hdmi to s-video converter inbetween. Other than the squished image the picture is pretty good which is why I still use the TV. I was using a roku 1 which had the option for 4:3 or 16:9, but it quit working and for some reason the option was removed from newer devices. I understand it isn't an issue to hardly anyone anymore, but doesn't seem like it would be difficult or do harm to have it as an option.

Thank you for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
bbgun

Re: Aspect Ratio, please add option.

Seems like a lot of people are having this problem, and I was shocked to find that a brand new tv doesn’t have this very simple feature. Developers, please provide an update so that we can watch 4:3 programs from external devices!! Currently, I feel like the tv I just purchased is just a huge, expensive piece of trash

Michelle3
Roku Guru

I know this thread is a few months old, but to make it clear, the newer devices are HDMI only.  The only current Roku models that support the 4:3/16:9 setting are the Express+ models 3710 (released 2016) and 3910 (released 2017), which were discontinued in 2018/2019.  I’ve had the latter model for two years since February 2020 (bought from Walmart online), and it, along with the former, was the very last model with the analog A/V outputs and the 4:3/16:9 setting.  With HDTVs being sold in retail markets these days, analog TV sets only being found in used markets, including eBay, and ATSC 3.0 coming in the next few years, I highly doubt any of the major players manufactured in the future will have analog outputs and a 4:3/16:9 setting.  There may be some generic unlicensed Android boxes with analog outputs, but I do not recommend those at all.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
SuaSponte2000
Channel Surfer

I had an original Roku LT streaming player.  Support and updates ceased and I bought a Roku Express as a replacement. The television is a 1986 Zenith System 3.  Obviously, I had to purchase an HDMI adapter, RCA Composite cables, USB power adapter and reconnect through the RF Modulator.  Then much to my dismay I cannot find any aspect ratio settings.  I'm keeping the Zenith.  I don't know about keeping the Roku Express.  Roku developers are capable of returning aspect ratio.  Why not do it?

USA Retired.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos