Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helpmeplz
Level 7

My phone can't find my Roku after switching to new wifi.

The Roku app can't find my Roku premier after I switched to new wifi. Iv tried connecting manually but it says the ip address is wrong or doesn't exist. All the support options that Roku has offered haven't worked. I need help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My phone can't find my Roku after switching to new wifi.

If you've made changes to your WiFi setup, there may be a couple of changes to your network. First, your new system may be assigning a new range of IP addresses, so the cached information in your phone may no longer be accurate. For example, the majority of home routers assign an IP address that starts with 192.168.0 with the last digit being somewhere between 2 and 254. You may now have one that is assigning the 192.168.1 range. That would explain the message about an incorrect IP address. 

The other issue is that your new wireless has a security feature enabled that blocks any wireless connected device from seeing anything else on the local network, and only allows access to the Internet. Different manufacturers label this function in different ways, so I can't really tell you what to look for. If your new WiFi is public (some apartment complexes now offer community WiFi), then you can be sure that security function is enabled and they won't turn it off. 

So, the first thing to find out is what IP address both the Roku and your phone have assigned. On the Roku, you can go to the Settings/Network menu and see the IP address. On your phone it should be listed under the wireless connection you have, usually under an info icon. If the first three segments are the same, then you're on the same network segment and now you can look for that security setting. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos