Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noteworks
Level 7

Cannot connect Roku to Android phone

I have a Rooted Android phone, running WIFI tether. I can connect multiple computers to it and everything is fine, they see it as a router and connect with no problem. However, I bought a Roku and tried to connect to the same device. The Roku does see the router that is the phone. But it fails to connect to it every time. wont get past the first connecting to local network portion of the connection. There has to be something simple going on with it, but I cant figure it out. I'd love to be using the Roku right now. Ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Gilgamesh
Level 7

Re: Cannot connect Roku to Android phone

From what I understand if your router is configured to "Block ICMP Ping" then it will not work with Roku.

Is this the case with your router?
0 Kudos
noteworks
Level 7

Hmm, I have absolutely no idea. I dont see a setting for that anywhere. just odd that everyone else I connect to it works great.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

the Roku has to be able to ping the "router", and in this case that's your phone. If it can't ping it first, it can't connect.
0 Kudos
noteworks
Level 7

OK, well I know people online are using their phones with the Roku in this way. Was hoping someone here also was to explain. I'll keep checking.
0 Kudos
scyber
Level 7

What model android phone? Some of the earlier android phones only support adhoc mode wireless tether. I don't think the roku supports adhoc( only infrastructure mode).

Either way, I'm not sure what kinda quality you will get streaming over your phones data connection. Even if you can get a consistent stream, you may hit data caps quickly ( depending on your provider of course)
0 Kudos
noteworks
Level 7

It's a rooted HTC hero. I can pull speeds quick enough for Netflix, havent had a cap issue yet, so far anyway.
0 Kudos
scyber
Level 7

"noteworks" wrote:
It's a rooted HTC hero. I can pull speeds quick enough for Netflix, havent had a cap issue yet, so far anyway.

HTC hero is an older phone so my guess is that it doesn't support infrastructure mode (ad-hoc only). As I said before, I don't think the roku supports connecting using ad-hoc wireless. You may be able to tell by looking at your computers that are connected. They may note that the phone is in ad-hoc mode. I don't know what it says in windows, but on a mac, it will list the phone as a "device" to indicate ad-hoc mode.

It is possible that if you upgrade the phone to a custom rom you may get infrastructure mode. It is also possibly a limitation of your hardware. You'd have to google it further to determine if it is even possible.
0 Kudos

check this link first. you need to enable network devices to control roku.
0 Kudos