Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlieP
Level 7

Can't play videos from Android phone (play on Roku). Photos display, not video.

I have a Roku TV and the latest Roku mobile app. When attempting to display video content from my phone ("Play on Roku"), I see the video name on the TV and a "retrieving" status bar indicating about 25% retrieval. It never retrieves any more. The content was created on/by my phone, and both devices are on the same network (wifi). Photos display without issue, only videos fail.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
User12345
Level 7

Re: Can't play videos from Android phone (play on Roku). Photos display, not video.

I'm just here to add that I have a similar problem.

I purchased Roku Premiere today. Like CharlieP, I am unable to play video content from my phone on 'Play on Roku'. The video hangs on 'retrieving' and never plays. Photos play just fine. The app is also a bit ridiculous in that I can't scroll all the way down to the bottom of a media list but that's another issue.

Apparently, support is not provided for this product and we have to rely on the community? That's a bit absurd. I won't give it long and I'll be getting a refund. I expect products to work as advertised or at least for the company to provide customer support.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Can't play videos from Android phone (play on Roku). Photos display, not video.

Just guessing, the video is probably in a format that the roku does not handle:

https://sdkdocs-archive.roku.com/Audio-and-Video-Support_3737490.html

Do you have the ability to convert to one of the supported formats?

0 Kudos
CharlieP
Level 7

I have tried several MP4 vids created on my Android Pixel 2XL, which is a supported format. In every attempt, the video name  (name.mp4) is displayed on screen and a retrieving status bar that immediately reaches about 25%, then freezes.

Frustrating.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

mp4 is a container file type - the video codec is more likely the problem.  If you can get the files to a computer, you might be able to use handbrake to convert them.  Or, if you can use the computer as network server, Plex might transcode them on the fly to something the client device can handle.

0 Kudos
biggator
Level 8

Just noticed the same behavior - tried with Galaxy S9 and a brand new S20+.

It shows a preview of the video - then hangs around 30-40% loading.

Looking at the MP4 that I was trying to play, it's AAC/H.264 - which should be supported based on the documentation.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

If you can get the file on a usb drive you could see if the media player will handle it.  That would tell you if it is a format issue or networking issue - although it doesn't solve the problem.

0 Kudos
CharlieP
Level 7

I was able to save a video from my Android phone to a USB, and was successful in playing it on the TCL ROKU TV.  In the process, I realized that the videos and photos on my phone aren't actually on my phone. They are shortcuts or links to the files which are actually saved on Google Photos. I now recall some time ago selecting the option to save the files to Google in order to not prematurely use all my on phone storage. 

Think this could be my issue? If so, any suggestions?

0 Kudos
biggator
Level 8

Nope.. not the issue.

I can use Roku Media Player to play videos off my network storage without issue (it's a bit of a clunky app, but it works).   Streaming from my phone (definitely local, NOT cloud storage) does not work.

bobnorman76
Level 7

Video Stopped Android Roku App Cast to Roku TV

I have a Roku TV and recently discovered the Roku App for Android.  While the remote feature ais amazing I really wanted it for casting photos and video to the tv.  It connects flawlessly and quickly over our home wifi network.  The only issue I have experienced is that video's I try to cast load up and show preview screen but I get a message to say "Video Stopped" and video will not play.  Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution.  I have reset TV, Phone and Network to no avail.  Hoping someone out there can help.  Thanks!

0 Kudos