Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DFH
Level 7

Can’t Pair Roku TV with Roku App on Phone

Jump to solution

I wish to use the Roku App with my TCL model 55S403 TV.  The TV’s software version is 9.2.0, Build 4502.

I downloaded the Roku App today onto my Pixel 3XL which is running Android 10.  Both TV and the Pixel 3 are Wi-Fi connected to the same router channel. 

When I told the App to Connect to a Device while the TCL TV was in its Remote Pairing mode, the App found the TCL TV, but the TV didn’t find the Pixel 3XL.  I tried signing in to my Roku account in the App, but that didn’t help.

What should I try next to complete the pairing?

If successful in pair the two, will I be able to cast or mirror a Zoom conference from the Pixel to the TV using the App?  If not, is there a way to get a Zoom conference to display on a TCL 55S403 TV?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Can’t Pair Roku TV with Roku App on Phone

Jump to solution

@DFH 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that screen mirroring isn't accessed through the Roku mobile app. This would be accessed from a supported Android or Windows device. However, Google has removed support for screen mirroring (Miracast) from Google-branded Android devices, and screen mirroring is not supported on those devices. 

For more information regarding screen mirroring and supported devices, please visit our Support page here: How do I use screen mirroring with my Android™ or Windows® device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@DFH 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that screen mirroring isn't accessed through the Roku mobile app. This would be accessed from a supported Android or Windows device. However, Google has removed support for screen mirroring (Miracast) from Google-branded Android devices, and screen mirroring is not supported on those devices. 

For more information regarding screen mirroring and supported devices, please visit our Support page here: How do I use screen mirroring with my Android™ or Windows® device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

To expand on what Danny said. You don't "pair" the app on the phone to the device. It connects over your network via TCP/IP and controls it in that way. And that's all it does for the most part. You can play media on your phone to the Roku through the app, but you can't cast the screen. 

The Roku doesn't see your phone because you're not pairing the phone to it. Roku remotes use a protocol called WiFi Direct, not Bluetooth or other wireless connection. There's no way to "pair" anything other than a Roku remote, and the Roku Speakers for a Roku TV.

Zoom doesn't offer a channel for Roku devices, so there's no native support. You can screen mirror a Windows 10 computer to a Roku using the "Project" function on the PC. There's no way to screen mirror an iOS/MacOS device. Some Android devices can cast the screen to a Roku, although it's been almost 3 years since I've played with one, so can't offer anything specific about that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Siradallas81
Level 7

Jump to solution

Need help connecting my tablet to my tv

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Siradallas81 wrote:

Need help connecting my tablet to my tv

What kind of tablet? If it's an iPad, there's no official support for iOS devices to mirror to a Roku device. If it's Android, you need an app on the tablet, but I can't say what the app name is, as I no longer have any Android device. If it's Windows 10 based, you should be able to project to other devices on your network, including Roku devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Scott62
Level 7

Jump to solution

iPhone won’t connect in app for me to utilize media 

i can use the remote control on iPhone but trying to connect iPhone to Roku app for media the wheel just continues to spin and won’t connect device 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Scott62 wrote:

iPhone won’t connect in app for me to utilize media 

i can use the remote control on iPhone but trying to connect iPhone to Roku app for media the wheel just continues to spin and won’t connect device 

I can't say what your issue might be. I tried it with my iPhone XR a few days ago, simply because I have never tried it before. Had no problems playing to my 4640 Ultra. 

Dan
0 Kudos