Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rwoz
Level 7

Can mobile app connect to a Roku Ultra on Ethernet?

Hello Everyone,

Can the Roku mobile app for Android work with a Roku Ultra that is connected to the network by an Ethernet cable, or does it only work with a Roku Ultra that is connected to the network wirelessly?

I want to use the Roku mobile app as a remote for the Roku Ultra. Unfortunately, I do not know much about networks and this seems to be a network issue.

My Roku Ultra is connected by an Ethernet cable to the same router that controls the wireless network. The mobile app does not see the Roku Ultra. 

The support page that addresses this issue (titled "Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku streaming device?") suggests trying both "default" and "permissive" network settings, neither of which worked.

It then suggests ensuring that the Roku Ultra is connected to the same wireless network as the phone. This is why I am wondering if the mobile app will work only with wirelessly connected Rokus.

Thanks

Rick

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can mobile app connect to a Roku Ultra on Ethernet?

@Rwoz  Thanks for the note.

Have you tried connecting your device to the same wireless network that your mobile device is connected to? That should allow you to connect to your device via the Roku mobile app. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
magickal
Level 7

Re: Can mobile app connect to a Roku Ultra on Ethernet?

Can the Roku Mobile App connect to the Roku Ultra that is connected via Ethernet?

That is the question that was posted above and that is the question I have too! Smiley Happy

I don't want Roku connected via wireless, Ethernet is much more stable . Will we be unable to use the mobile app to control the Roku device if it is on an Ethernet connection On The SAME Network or not?
and if not, why not? same network.

Thank you!

0 Kudos