Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can mobile app connect to a Roku Ultra on Ethernet?

Hello Everyone,

Can the Roku mobile app for Android work with a Roku Ultra that is connected to the network by an Ethernet cable, or does it only work with a Roku Ultra that is connected to the network wirelessly?

I want to use the Roku mobile app as a remote for the Roku Ultra. Unfortunately, I do not know much about networks and this seems to be a network issue.

My Roku Ultra is connected by an Ethernet cable to the same router that controls the wireless network. The mobile app does not see the Roku Ultra. 

The support page that addresses this issue (titled "Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku streaming device?") suggests trying both "default" and "permissive" network settings, neither of which worked.

It then suggests ensuring that the Roku Ultra is connected to the same wireless network as the phone. This is why I am wondering if the mobile app will work only with wirelessly connected Rokus.

Thanks

Rick

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Can mobile app connect to a Roku Ultra on Ethernet?

@Rwoz  Thanks for the note.

Have you tried connecting your device to the same wireless network that your mobile device is connected to? That should allow you to connect to your device via the Roku mobile app. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Can the Roku Mobile App connect to the Roku Ultra that is connected via Ethernet?

That is the question that was posted above and that is the question I have too! Smiley Happy

I don't want Roku connected via wireless, Ethernet is much more stable . Will we be unable to use the mobile app to control the Roku device if it is on an Ethernet connection On The SAME Network or not?
and if not, why not? same network.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Rwoz  Thanks for the note.

Have you tried connecting your device to the same wireless network that your mobile device is connected to? That should allow you to connect to your device via the Roku mobile app. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner, you did not answer the question. Rick (and I) have the Roku on the ethernet because that is where we want and that is where it is going to stay. The question is whether your android app can control the ethernet-connected Roku Ultra.

If I may add, the remote control is wireless, my phone is connected to the same wireless network, so why cannot the android app on my phone control the Ultra the same as the remote does?

Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same problem!  I want to use wireless headphones through the app while watching Roku wired to the TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same issue here. Roku TV on a wired connection. Phone on wireless. App says it "can't find device."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Answer to all: yes, you can control a Roku with the app if the Roku is connected to Ethernet instead of WiFi. The requirement of course is that the device with the app is connected to the same network. It won't work if the device is connected to the Internet via the cellular connection. It has to be connected via WiFi to the same network that the Roku is wired into.

Also as a reminder: some WiFi access points are configured to block the wireless device from seeing the internal network, only allowing access to the Internet. So the network must be configured correctly as well.

Two of my Roku devices are wired to my Gigabit network. but my phone app sees every device, wired or wireless. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

For me, the iOS app wasn’t seeing the new Ultra b/c the Ultra was connected directly to the cable company router, not to anything connected to the separate downstream WiFi router. That meant it was outside the WiFi router’s subnetwork. Once I corrected that by connecting the Ultra to the WiFi router’s Ethernet ports, the app could see the Ultra. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Gyorke wrote:

For me, the iOS app wasn’t seeing the new Ultra b/c the Ultra was connected directly to the cable company router, not to anything connected to the separate downstream WiFi router. That meant it was outside the WiFi router’s subnetwork. Once I corrected that by connecting the Ultra to the WiFi router’s Ethernet ports, the app could see the Ultra. 

Yep, that would do it. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos