Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection

I have 3 Samsung A20 phones that connect flawlessly to my Roku Ultra. There is no internet or wifi involved. I am just streaming content acquired by my phone's mobile data to the Roku. When doing the same with my 1st edition Roku 3, the connection is dropped every few minutes. Any suggestions to fix?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection


@John3xv1 wrote:

I have 3 Samsung A20 phones that connect flawlessly to my Roku Ultra. There is no internet or wifi involved. I am just streaming content acquired by my phone's mobile data to the Roku. When doing the same with my 1st edition Roku 3, the connection is dropped every few minutes. Any suggestions to fix?


There may be interference causing the drop - if the Roku is connected via 2.4Ghz, try either changing the channel or reducing the bandwidth (perhaps to 20) in the modem/router/gateway configuration. 

Otherwise try connecting the Roku via wired or 5Ghz wireless instead.

(There is a bug in RokuOS 9.3.x (and perhaps earlier versions limited to older devices) and newer Android /One UI/SmartView versions that when the Roku device is connected to a 2.4Ghz SSID and a screen mirroring session is attempted to it, it fails to connect - this may also be the source of your drops)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection

Your answer suggests making changes to the wifi. You missed the point that I am not using a wifi connection. There is no router involved where setting, channels and bandwidth could be modified. The connection is directly from the phone to the Roku. Again, this works flawlessly with the Roku Ultra, but it disconnects after a couple minutes from the Roku 3.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection


@John3xv1 wrote:

Your answer suggests making changes to the wifi. You missed the point that I am not using a wifi connection. There is no router involved where setting, channels and bandwidth could be modified. The connection is directly from the phone to the Roku. Again, this works flawlessly with the Roku Ultra, but it disconnects after a couple minutes from the Roku 3.


Are all your A20's on Android 10/OneUI 2.0?

I ask because the Miracast connectivity bug only occurs with Android 10/OneUI 2.0 - not with Android 9/OneUI 1.1 - if you have another device, or an A20 on an older firmware version, it may make a difference...

It also may be worth connecting it to the WiFi and/or internet and see if it still drops under those conditions.

Otherwise, you should contact Roku about the Roku 3 Miracast bug: https://support.roku.com/contactus

 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection

Yes, the A20 software is Android 10/OneUI 2.0 on all three phones.  I was trying to us a WIFI (without internet) but it seemed worse. I will try it again and contact Roku if it still doesn't work. Since the Roku 3 is considered a legacy product, will Roku issue a software update to fix it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection


@John3xv1 wrote:

Yes, the A20 software is Android 10/OneUI 2.0 on all three phones.  I was trying to us a WIFI (without internet) but it seemed worse. I will try it again and contact Roku if it still doesn't work. Since the Roku 3 is considered a legacy product, will Roku issue a software update to fix it?


Actually, the Roku 3s (4200/4230) are considered updateable, not legacy:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

So they can/do receive updates, and a fix could/should be made available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection

It turns out the problem was not having the most current software. I took it to someone's house that has internet and updated it and now it streams without a problem. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Trouble Maintaining Smart View Connection

Might be wise to connect it up a few times a year to allow RokuOS and the apps to update (though of course there is the chance that new issues or unwanted functionality changes are introduced).

0 Kudos