Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JiRuiFu
Level 8

Software Update Problem

I received an email from Roku today informing me that my Roku device had recently received an update.

I found this page at Roku:  How do I update the software on my Roku TV™?

As I stepped through the instructions, the first problem was that after going to tvupdate.roku.com , under select your TV, there is no listing for my brand of TV - Samsung.  I chose Sanyo just so I could continue.

Next, came the request for my Roku model number and the site accepted what I input.

On the TV screen under Roku Settings it is identified as:  4230X-Roku 3.  When I input that, number and hit Next, I got "Unrecognized Model".

So, total failure:  I can't input my Samsung TV and the site rejects my model number.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NTM23
Level 9

Re: Software Update Problem

I like your avatar. Anyways, if you have a Roku TV, can you not update the TV on the TV? And, is your TV not automatically updating? I have a TCL, so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but if it is, go into settings, system, then system update and check now. Seems like you're trying to do it by phone or PC? It should just be done through the TV.

0 Kudos
JiRuiFu
Level 8

That avatar was the sweetest dog I will ever have:  a Welsh Terrier.

I went to the Roku/Settings and took photos of all the important ones and saved them to a folder for future reference.  

Among them was, as you noted, System Update and it reported Last Checked was Nov 14 at 11:51, so it is checking automatically.

Oh, boy!  Egg on face time.  I went to Mail and read, more carefully this time, the email's contents, which said:  We wanted to let you know that your Roku device recently received a software update with new features including performance improvements, additional customization options, and more.

Note received is past tense.  First email I ever got an email from Roku and I assumed it was alerting me to an update and there was something I had to do.  

Anyway, thanks for responding.  All is good now.

atc98092
Level 21

Samsung doesn't build Roku TVs. All their smart TVs use the Tizen operating system. You can't install the Roku OS on one. 

I've been using Roku devices for about 8 years, and I've never received any emails about updates, either prior to or after install. I do get beta notices, but those are always prior to install. Really curious about that email. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NTM23
Level 9

From what I read, what you're saying is true, but you are able to download the Roku channel.

0 Kudos