Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Should I upgrade from 2500X

I have a Roku 2500X that's at least 5 years old and likely more. If I upgrade to a Roku Streaming Stick will it I get better performance watchingNetflix, Britbox, Amazon and the like? Thanks in advance. BTW, shame that there's no live human being to speak with...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Should I upgrade from 2500X

The simple answer is "yes".  The 2500 is now considered a "legacy model" and will no longer receive updates and any current model will be much faster.  Some people don't like the version of Netflix you'll get if you obtain a newer model because it supports profiles and for some reason some people don't like that.

If I could give my personal opinion I'd say avoid the sticks.  Being around here a long time I've seen more Wi-Fi and overheating issues with sticks than other models, but the main reason I'd avoid them is that if you lose the remote, or it fails, or worse your dog eats it, you're out of luck if you ever need to reconnect to Wi-Fi.  Replacement Wi-Fi remotes aren't cheap whereas a replacement remote that you can use on the boxes can sometimes be found at the dollar store.  Just my 2 cents...

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks very much Jim. I appreciate it big time. Can I impose upon you to make a recommendation? Thanks in advance.

Ira

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

I think you'd be happy with any of them as they're all an upgrade over what you have.  I haven't really kept up with the latest models, but glancing at the products page there are a few options. Personally I'd go with the Ultra (or Walmart's Ultra LT) solely because I want a wired connection, but if you're not interested in that then there's probably no reason to pay the price.  To be honest the Express or Premiere would give you a faster version of what you have now.  I'm guessing you don't have need for 4k, so I can't see a good reason to get the Premiere over the Express.  The advantage of the Express+ over the Express is that it comes with a point-anywhere remote.  The Express and Premiere remote is dead simple and not prone to the "pairing" problems that you'll often see mentioned here.  Compare a few different units using the compare button from the link I gave above and see if there's any options that appeal to you.  There's probably several that you didn't know about, but also may not interest you.  If you have any question on what a particular option is and why you might want it, just post here and I'm sure someone will answer.

Good luck!

-JT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks so much Jim.

It's very kind of you to be so helpful to a stranger. We ordered the Premiere yesterday.

f I can ever reciprocate, my expertise is in photography and you can reach out tome at bergerira on instagram.

Best wishes, many thanks and stay safe.

Ira

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@iragramps 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos