Roku Legacy Products

Help with Roku products that no longer receive software updates, are no longer supported for channel updates, etc.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dma70
Level 8

Roku HD 2 HDMI to component TV not working. Need Roku that is compatible

Jump to solution

My TV does not support HDMI. Component wires in the wall, love the TV (old Plasma). 

I have had a Roku XD 2 which for many years working fine thru a HDMI-to-component box     The light on Roku was flaky.   Took it to Best Buy they thought it was NG. 

Bought a Roku Premiere.   Discovered another problem:  HDMI-to-component box was NG.  I Bought a new one which works now.    When connecting Roku Premiere got an HDCP error.   I am told Premiere software wont pass thru converter without causing this error. 

Tried old Roku XD 2 again, but now the light won't even go on now. 

I know Express + has component output, but lower resolution. 

If I buy another used XD 2 (or 3 or 4) on eBay will it work like my old one, or will it download incompatible software?   

Or other ideas? -- Does not have to be a Roku product. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku HD 2 HDMI to component TV not working. Need Roku that is compatible

Jump to solution

The problem is, when you are setting up the Roku for the first time it checks for updates without any way to cancel it. So any new Roku that you attach to your account will do this, unless someone sells you one that hasn't been factory reset. And that would be a bad idea for the seller. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@dma70 wrote:

My TV does not support HDMI. Component wires in the wall, love the TV (old Plasma). 

I have had a Roku XD 2 which for many years working fine thru a HDMI-to-component box     The light on Roku was flaky.   Took it to Best Buy they thought it was NG. 

Bought a Roku Premiere.   Discovered another problem:  HDMI-to-component box was NG.  I Bought a new one which works now.    When connecting Roku Premiere got an HDCP error.   I am told Premiere software wont pass thru converter without causing this error. 

Tried old Roku XD 2 again, but now the light won't even go on now. 

I know Express + has component output, but lower resolution. 

If I buy another used XD 2 (or 3 or 4) on eBay will it work like my old one, or will it download incompatible software?   

Or other ideas? -- Does not have to be a Roku product. 

The Express+ has a composite, not component output. Not the same thing at all. Roku hasn't offered a device with component output since 2010. 

You're probably having a problem because your converter doesn't support HDMI 2.0 and/or HDCP 2.2. Your old Roku didn't require either. Since Roku doesn't officially support using converter boxes, there isn't likely too much they can offer you. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dma70
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for correcting me on the Roku Express+.   And thank you for answering the question on why Premiere doesn't work.  But if you think the converter doesn't support Premiere's protocols,  I would ask if any converter to component does?

That leaves my other two suggestions, yet unanswered.

1. If I replace my XD 2 with a similar used box from eBay is it likely to work?

2. Does anyone else offer a technology for streaming that might do what the XD 2 did (convert to component without a problem). 

One other thought - the HDMI-to-component box takes an HDMI signal from a computer and broadcasts to the TV without a problem.   Is there any way to get a Roku signal into a computer and then back out through HDMI?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@dma70 wrote:

Thanks for correcting me on the Roku Express+.   And thank you for answering the question on why Premiere doesn't work.  But if you think the converter doesn't support Premiere's protocols,  I would ask if any converter to component does?

That leaves my other two suggestions, yet unanswered.

1. If I replace my XD 2 with a similar used box from eBay is it likely to work?

2. Does anyone else offer a technology for streaming that might do what the XD 2 did (convert to component without a problem). 

One other thought - the HDMI-to-component box takes an HDMI signal from a computer and broadcasts to the TV without a problem.   Is there any way to get a Roku signal into a computer and then back out through HDMI?

Last question first: unless your computer has an HDMI input connection, that won't work. The only computers with such a connection would have an add-in video capture card, and most likely be quite expensive. 

I am unaware of any streaming player that still offers component output. 

I would expect that you can find a converter box that will work. Perhaps someone that has used one successfully can provide a make/model. Just because one didn't work doesn't mean that none would work. Your plasma set most likely has HDMI 1.4 or older ports. There's no reason a new Roku won't work with it.  My Ultra was connected to my Panasonic ST30 plasma for a little over a year before I finally upgraded that TV to 4K, and I had no problems with it. But my plasma had HDMI ports, so never had to mess with a converter. 

However, I may have just thought of a possible problem. Many early HD sets did not support 720p or 1080p over a digital connection. And no current Roku supports 1080i. But I'm not certain how that converts to component. That's where I expect the converter box has to have the correct support. You need to confirm exactly what resolutions are supported on your component input, and ensure the converter supports that resolution. 

Dan
0 Kudos
dma70
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks atc...:  Ok, some progress.   

So, only a very expensive computer has HDMI inputs AND outputs.  But if I found one, why wouldn't it work on the converter box?   The computer I have with HDMI output DOES WORK through that box to the TV.

There is nothing on the TV that says or looks like the internet pictures I found of HDMI 1.4.   I have one input called DVI.   In any event, the component cables are all I have to go through the wall from the TV to my electronics cabinet.  So whatever I buy must convert to component.   

I am assuming you don't know if buying a used XD 2, 3, or 4 would solve the problem, given my old one worked just fine (good resolution including 1080) with the converter.   This question may require knowledge of whether the software I get in the used XD would be incompatible, like the Premiere seems to be.  

and,

Would any competitor to Roku (eg Apple TV,  Amazon fire, etc) likely work with the same converter box that worked for my old roku XD 2 but does not work for roku premiere. 

I am looking for any creative solutions to routing a high resolution streaming signal through component cables. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@dma70 wrote:

Thanks atc...:  Ok, some progress.   

So, only a very expensive computer has HDMI inputs AND outputs.  But if I found one, why wouldn't it work on the converter box?   The computer I have with HDMI output DOES WORK through that box to the TV.

There is nothing on the TV that says or looks like the internet pictures I found of HDMI 1.4.   I have one input called DVI.   In any event, the component cables are all I have to go through the wall from the TV to my electronics cabinet.  So whatever I buy must convert to component.   

I am assuming you don't know if buying a used XD 2, 3, or 4 would solve the problem, given my old one worked just fine (good resolution including 1080) with the converter.   This question may require knowledge of whether the software I get in the used XD would be incompatible, like the Premiere seems to be.  

and,

Would any competitor to Roku (eg Apple TV,  Amazon fire, etc) likely work with the same converter box that worked for my old roku XD 2 but does not work for roku premiere. 

I am looking for any creative solutions to routing a high resolution streaming signal through component cables. 

The problem with a video capture card is you're only going to get the incoming video in the program's window. It won't just display on the monitor itself, unless the video software has a full screen option. 

And there's one other potential stumbling block with a video capture card. Most HD content that passes over an HDMI cable is encrypted with HDCP. The video capture cards I've looked at don't support HDCP, so it's possible the Roku video would not passthough the video capture card. 

I did find this page that offers some suggestions for converter boxes. Note that they show some that work with streaming boxes and others that don't. It sounds like you have one that doesn't play well. No prices listed, but does have links to sites that sell them, like Amazon.

I would hesitate buying an older box. You may just be buying someone else's problem box, and there's no return option for something like that. As to a competitor's product, my guess is you'd run into the same problems with HDCP handshaking, which is my guess for the problem you're having now. 

Dan
dma70
Level 8

Jump to solution

atc... you have been helpful and I am ready to close out this query, even though I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution to being able to stream to my old beloved component plasma screen.  

I thought you and others might be interested in one piece in the puzzle.   I did buy another XD 2 from ebay.  When I connected to my roku account it insisted on downloading the latest software, just like the new Premiere did.  I connected to my HDMI-to-component converter and everything went smoothly until I tried to stream a show.   I then got a big HDCP violation painted across the screen. 

Conclusion:   My old XD 2 had old software, I believe that is why it worked with the converter.  The only solution I now think would be to get an old Roku that somehow does not insist on updating the software. 

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

The problem is, when you are setting up the Roku for the first time it checks for updates without any way to cancel it. So any new Roku that you attach to your account will do this, unless someone sells you one that hasn't been factory reset. And that would be a bad idea for the seller. 

Dan

View solution in original post

dma70
Level 8

Jump to solution

What you say sounds consistent.   I am now checking out if one of the HDMI-to-component boxes support HDCP. 

0 Kudos