Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

MyJSON.com is gone...how do I get a URL to update my Roku Channel? Help!

I was told this question belongs in the Direct Publisher Forum, so hopefully someone out there can help!

--------

For the past couple years, I've used MyJSON.com to generate the JSON URL I need for updates to my Roku channel (Fore Golfers Network).

I'm a complete novice at all things JSON, learning just enough to update the full code and then grab the URL from MYJSON. That site is now dead (he closed it April 1) and I have no idea where I can go for the URL so I'm unable to update my channel w/ fresh content.

Does anyone know where I can turn for a JSON URL code to be generated from my long file?

Thanks in advance!

Billroku json - before.pngroku json - pastebin.png
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: MyJSON.com is gone...how do I get a URL to update my Roku Channel? Help!

Consider using Amazon S3.  It's a proven technology that lots of channel developers use, and, it's relatively cheap especially if all you do is store your feed file.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

Appreciate the reply, but I'm not looking to spend revenue for the creation of the URL. My channel is fairly small and we generate zero income from it.

0 Kudos
Hobson_Media
Binge Watcher

So in S3, I can paste my long code and it will generate the needed URL for updating Roku?

If you can't tell, this is all quite foreign to me. Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm not sure what you mean by your "long code".  But, S3 is a hosting platform where you can store your feed file and/or media (video and thumbnail images). You then tell Roku through the developer portal the URL of the feed file within S3.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
PrinceKennedy
Channel Surfer

I’ve set up an s3 account to use since myjson.com has gone down as of April 1st but I already have a Vimeo account hosting my video files I just need a site to host my feed stack and populate a url like myjson.com would have.  I am using the roku JSON feed manager and just want to copy and paste my feed and have a url populated that I can paste into my feed url slot on my roku developer dashboard 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@PrinceKennedy Do you have a problem?  If so, please explain further.

0 Kudos
PrinceKennedy
Channel Surfer

Yes .... I’ve set up an s3 account but I don’t need amazon to host my videos I just need a new site aside from myjson.com to populate my feed url.  S3 appears as if it is an option to host my actual videos but comments have been made that sound like I can still host my videos on Vimeo and just use s3 to populate my feed url from the output my roku JSON feed manager populates into notepad.  If I could just use a site like pastebin I would but pastebin populated a link that produced a non-200 error on my feed url page when I attempted to save and store the pastebin url 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

That's correct.  S3 can be used to solely host your feed file while Vimeo is used for your videos.  You'll need to set up an S3 "bucket" to host your feed file.  Then, upload your feed file to the S3 bucket, and, using the DP portal, specify the S3 bucket URL as the location of your feed file.  You'll also need to make sure that the urls in your feed file point to Vimeo.

0 Kudos
PrinceKennedy
Channel Surfer

I’ve created the s3 bin and uploaded my .json file feed populated by the roku JSON feed manager.  S3 then gave me an object url which I have placed in rokus direct publisher feed url section I kept video format as specified in feed as the default but when I attempt to save the page and move to feed status I receive an error code that says the server returned a non-200 status code -(403) .... this error also occurred when I tried to use JSONbin.io and pastebins raw feature.  

0 Kudos