Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

My Feed Mystery....why did videos disappear?

This is very strange....

Updated json feed on 5/10 and everything playing fine. Feed ingest shows everyday feed is ok. Today I open channel on tv and the top row of featured videos and the new videos I added to the 5/10 json have all disappeared. Turned on the ROU TV to check channel since the first ROKU I checked is much older. 

Both ROKU's are not displaying all of the videos coded into the 5/10 json also the top row of featured videos are not showing. When the channel begins to load I can see the empty space of top line where videos are to show once loaded but as the channel continues to load, the whole top row disappears, row 2 moves into the top and all of the new videos added 5/10 don't show up at all. 

Um... totally stumped. 

http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
WVBS
Reel Rookie

Re: My Feed Mystery....why did videos disappear?

We started experiencing a similar issue sometime Thursday (6/1) evening to Friday morning (6/2). However, a few of programs were. After looking at what was there and what was not, it seems that our tvspecials (single videos) are showing in whatever categories (tags) they are listed in, but any program containing episodes does not show.

Can anyone check if they are experiencing this same issue? The backend feed shows everything continues to ingest successfully, but the frontend is definitely not showing correctly.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Be careful assuming that if Roku ingests your feed without errors, everything is OK.  The ingestion process does not do a good job of identifying logic errors in your feed.  For example, if you have a mismatch of tags with your defined categories, the digestion process doesn't catch that type of error.

Mismatch of tags/categories is one of the ways that videos "go missing" in your channel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
newchannel
Roku Guru

The new feed  with the new videos has been actively playing on the channel. I have actually seen it working on the tv since 5/10 then yesterday I go to the channel on the tv and all of the new videos were gone plus whole categories. 

0 Kudos
WVBS
Reel Rookie

@Baradanikto Thank you for the response, I didn't realize about a tag/category mismatch being a possible hole in the ingestion status.

However as an update, we did not make any changes to our feed or channel settings, but this morning (6/9) it appears that all of the content is back and available.

Just to summarize, our issue was that only the Series/Seasons/Episodes vanished, but the TVSpecials in whatever categories they were in continued showing in the channel. We posted the issue here in the forum, and reached out through the PartnerSuccess ticketing system. However, the message we received back was only a generic troubleshooting guide, which after going through each step and checking for any changes to Roku's feed specifications documentation yielded no actions to follow.

But we are thankful that it appears to be back online in full. @newchannel, I hope your channel is now showing its content too!

0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I'm glad yours is working. Mine hasn't corrected yet. Sent a support ticket previously. New episodes to tv series have disappeared and a coupe of complete categories.. Anyway, since direct publisher is being phased out I guess I'll switch the channel over to sdk when I get time to work on it. Perhaps, it will correct or support will find the problem. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I failed to post back an update.

I contacted roku and they corrected it. Then I checked the channel another day and it was back to doing the same thing again. The next few days I checked channel again and everything was back to working again. Don't know why it was bouncing around from fixed to broken which must of been on their side of the software but regardless they seem to have corrected the problem.

0 Kudos