Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJSWeb
Visitor

Re: Having an issue with XML feed

The "!" beside the feed url went away, however the feed status still has a "!". I think it's because of the duration and other just default values I left in there. I'm gonna clean it up and see what happens... altho it shows it ingests all of them fine and I am getting no errors.
0 Kudos

So the "!" went away on the "Feed URL" but it remains on the "Feed Status" and you still can't publish?
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

He said he still has an "!" for the feed status.. So he won't be able to publish it till that is is gone as well..

I'm posting a "working" sample series json file in a new stream.. it injests and DP shows no errors, However I have not figured out how to get categories into it yet..
http://www.TVByDemand.com
0 Kudos

There is a ! in a circle and an ! in a triangle.  If he has no errors in his on "Feed URL" and no errors in "Feed Status" he should be able to publish.  If he has a ! in a triangle he should still be able to publish. 
0 Kudos

He is definitely experiencing one of the bugs with DP, I have just been unable to help him clear it up...even though he has no errors.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

It would appear (to try to not be negative) but DP was never even alpha tested, it's almost as if it was coded and put into production.. I've got entire categories disappearing on channels that worked fine a month ago and were never touched since..

BTW Amazon Fire has an equivalent setup to DP on the Roku now. According to one of the developers in the forums over there I'll just have to modify my json files, or can use my old xml files and do some graphics for thier format. I'll be away all next month so won't get to play with it till I get back in august.. 
0 Kudos

mitchstein, I agree.  I think Roku is about 90% there but needs to push a little further to make it 100%.  The problem is you won't see greater adoption until the original XML SDK no longer works (end of 2017).  Hopefully their July update (fingers crossed) clears up a lot of the current issues.

That is very interesting about Amazon Fire.  I can only hope Apple follows suit.
0 Kudos
mitchstein
Roku Guru

IDK about 90%.. I think 25% of a product is proper documentation, an above average inteligent person with some experience should be able to get it working with all basic features without needing more help then the documentation.. So it's at best at 75% if everything worked as advertised... which I believe they are far off from doing..

I've been working with a roku tech support guy on the saeries, while we did get it to injest the json file, it still will not display anything in the channel and all I get from them is "we are working on it".. so all that work on learning to get the series json datavile to work, left me still without a working channel..

Personally I think they made it too complex, the old sample player, which like you said above will be useless after 2017, held all my videos with plenty of room to add more videos, a little bit of tweaking and many developers got it work with the adserver.. BUT, that is going away.. which sucks because the DP still doesn't work properly.. once it does work properly it will be sweet.. But for now not so much..

IDK, I'll be away for a month up to Canada, hopefully when I get back in august things are better and I can move forward, otherwise I'll be concentrating on amazon's solution and get back to this in 6 months to see if things have improved..

Apple has a beta "DP like" version as well, it will be released to the developers by "the end of the summer" I assume that means like october/november.. I do not know if it will include an adserver or not, but will do perfect logging with well thought out reports... Seems they are all doing it..

Oh and Facebook Live now is available to FB Developers to stream 24/7 video, they told me they are in the works on an adserver as well... Seems FB is working directly with Vmix and Unreal Media Server.. That will be an interesting development...

It's ashame, I am only advertising Roku and my private channel has done very well, even forced alot of people I knw to purchase Roku's in order to see the pro-wrestling videos, basically I stopped web developing and just worked on Roku as the best way to view... But this has me scared, if they stop the old player from working before getting this to work, I'll be without a delivery channel uless I go to another company.. And that gets expensive to advertise.. Alot to think about in the near future.. But this situation is what has me looking for an additional basket to hold my eggs. Oh and Kodi should be stablized by August as well... They just did a major non backwards compatible upgrade... 12 developers are working on a new sample player with xml support structured similar to old roku sample player but with adserver support...
0 Kudos