Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Having an issue with XML feed

in your feed there are three consistent errors:

Thumbnails:
"thumbnail": "http://roku.joystar.tv/",
There are no thumbnails actually defined.  You are just calling a path not an actual file.  Subsequently you will fail the 800x450 minimum requirement as well (because the picture isn't defined)

Url:
"url": "http://roku.joystar.tv/",
Same as Thumbnails, url is missing the actual file.  Right now it is just a path.

Genres:
"genres": ["faith", ""],
You are calling a second genre but the genre is blank.  Chang it to "genres": ["faith"], and you should be fine.
0 Kudos
PJSWeb
Visitor

Again, I cannot thank you enough. I really appreciate your help!

I updated my php code, which then updated the json code. However, I didn't know about the thumbnail size. I will need to find a way to resize that thumbnail at this point.

THANK YOU!!
0 Kudos
PJSWeb
Visitor

It still has an X beside the feedURL... is this because of the thumbnail size? Or do I still have an issue with the new json file?
0 Kudos

"PJSWeb" wrote:
It still has an X beside the feedURL... is this because of the thumbnail size? Or do I still have an issue with the new json file?

If you have any error (including thumbnail size) you will get an X.  Plus your thumbnails aren't loading.  

Here is what is being presented:
http://roku.joystar.tv/roku_media/images/poster6.jpg
0 Kudos
PJSWeb
Visitor

"mediadisconnect" wrote:
"PJSWeb" wrote:

If you have any error (including thumbnail size) you will get an X.  Plus your thumbnails aren't loading.  

Here is what is being presented:
http://roku.joystar.tv/roku_media/images/poster6.jpg

Thanks! I changed the url to make sure it is directed to the right path for video and poster sources. I also wrote the script (using FFMPEG) to change the thumbnails to 800x450, and verified it worked correctly. I uploaded the new json, but it seems there is still something messed up? Idk, or maybe I just have to wait to see the progress?
If there is anything with PHP or maybe MySQL or something I can do for you in the future for helping me like you have, please reach out to me. I do appreciate your help a lot!
0 Kudos

For some reason, Roku isn't liking your video files.  I am just not sure why.  

Roku still has a problem with your json file downloading from your server.  I am getting "Unable to download from feedUrl.".  I am still trying to remember how I fixed it on my end.
0 Kudos

Ok I remember how I fixed my issue with "Unable to download from feedUrl"...

If you look at your server logs, when Roku tries to download your .json file you are probably getting 406 errors.  If your hosting service provides you cpanel access go into apache meme types and add the meme type: application/json with the extension: json

Once I added this, my 406 errors went away and Roku could download my feed.

If you don't have cpanel access you can add the following to your .htaccess file:

AddType application/json json

If that still doesn't work then just call your hosting company and tell them you need to fix 406 errors.

I still don't know why your mp4 files aren't being seen by Roku (I can download them fine).
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Did you try your json file so many times?
I know some servers, if there is so many tries from certain IP, will block IP from accessing the file.
Make sure Roku IPs are not blocked in your server side.
0 Kudos

Ok, I took your JSON file and video file put it on my server and everything works fine.  At this point they problem is with your hosting.  Check your error logs and I am sure you will be seeing a few weird errors especially 406s.  Talk to your provider to have them help clear up the issue.  Both issues with the JSON and video file are probably for the same reason. 
0 Kudos
PJSWeb
Visitor

So sorry, didn't see the second page to this post. I see your updates now and am gonna try all of that out.... I will post an update very soon. Thanks!!
0 Kudos