Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

DP to SceneGraph wizard tool released

I've created a wizard tool that should alleviate some of the anxiety of converting a Direct Publisher channel to a SceneGraph channel.  The tool can be found on GitHub.  

The tool will walk you through some steps to generate BrightScript code that uses your JSON feed file to create a SceneGraph grid-style channel similar to the UI of Direct Publisher.  The code supports ALL content types including Series/Episodes.  However, there are some caveats:

1. The code generated is an "alpha" version.  This means it is not fully tested and may contain bugs.  It should NOT be used as the basis of a production channel.  Use the generated code at your own risk.
  2. The code will NOT currently pass channel certification.  I plan on continuing to develop the code and thought it was important to get it into the hands of DP channel developers.
  3. The tool assumes that your feed file specifies Categories that use Tags to "bucket" your channel content.  Your feed file MUST contain Category objects and Tags.

I'm looking for feedback and comments on the wizard and the code that it produces.  Please use GitHub to discuss, comment, and ask questions.  Please do not use this forum to ask questions, or, report errors.  If you find a problem, open an issue on the GitHub site.

If you want to be notified of future version releases, you should "star"/watch the GitHub project repository.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
69 REPLIES 69
Spacehog
Streaming Star

Re: DP to SceneGraph wizard tool released

This isn't compatible with Mac systems and I am wonder if anyone with experience doing this can help because I have zero coding skills and am starting from zero here. 

0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I'll definitely check this out. Just got thru revising my smaller channel into custom categories & was meticulous as heck, but seems to work. Not seeing background color yet but thats a small issue. Gonna take some time away from this stuff for a few days.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Alpha-2 of the wizard tool has been released. Please go to GitHub to download it.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
Spacehog
Streaming Star

None of the instructions mentioned work. I'm on a mac, and this software isn't compatible at all. 

There's no download link of any kind on the page. The problem is I can't upload screenshots to show you the screen I get when I click the link. 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

The tool states the requirements. If you want to run it on a Mac, you'll need to run it in a Windows virtual machine on the Mac.

0 Kudos
Spacehog
Streaming Star

I have no idea how to do that. I'd hire someone to do it but has anyone successfully converted a Roku direct publisher channel this way? 

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Perhaps @ferdiworks can comment. He's been testing this tool with success.

0 Kudos
ferdiworks
Roku Guru

First let me say the download link is on the gethub page

when you arrive there make sure you are on the code tab which is the first tab!

Next scroll down to you see the word installation!

under that click the download mbutton and it will bring you to a page with the files!

Download the exe file to install on windows system!

You can also download the source file of the scengraph package!

NEXT:  Question  "has anyone successfully converted a Roku direct publisher channel"?

Yes the tool works well, BUT - Yes there is a but!

The SDK file is not read for roku certification!

Once they update the package it will be as he is doing the project n phases and we are on phase two Alpha version 2!

Once done you can send your json feed link to me and I will input your channel and produce a package for you!

The package has to be sideloaded on your roku device and you need to run Putty a telnet free software to get it digatally signed then download the new enqrypted package and upload to roku for testing! 

Once past testing you publish!

I am thinking of making a course!

watch this video!

https://c.themediacdn.com/embed/media/W3s3aS/iTeSM39sAwz/O4FPUCsMeAY_1?preview=1

OnDemandTV
admin@ondemandtvnetworks.com
0 Kudos
Charles012
Reel Rookie

Can the feed link be a m3u8?

0 Kudos