Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCJ63
Level 8

Re: Stop Roku Ultra from Changing Resolution back to Auto Detect

I am having this same issue with two consecutive 2020 Roku Ultras, run through a Yamaha receiver to an LG TV. The unit simply will NOT maintain a manual resolution setting, which I would like to use because as another user noted there's no reason to watch super high res tv on all tvs, especially when watching news programs. I want to throttle back this Roku to display something OTHER than 4k HDR, but this is all the unit wants to project.

I've tried the "secret menu" solution and that worked for a time. But now the unit keeps displaying a black screen at any other setting below 4K HDR. (It displays the home screen, app home pages, and even bottom-screen menus such as the timeline, and sometimes audio, but no streaming content at all. 

I returned one unit, am on a second, same issue. Roku support has been completely, abjectly unhelpful. Anyone with some advice before I ship yet another one of these back? It's infuriating. 

0 Kudos
mikepfly2
Level 8

I purchased a Micro HDMI Fiber Cable and it fixed my issue. Do you have a long HDMI run? 

Here is the one I bought. Not cheap, but it fixed the issue and was smaller than a traditional HDMI cable which made the run through my conduit easier: https://amzn.to/3amoUFk

Good luck

0 Kudos
RCJ63
Level 8

Addendum to above: I may have finally come closer to fixing this. Tweaking HDMI throughput settings on the Yamaha (I had not considered this before as the default settings on a similar Yamaha system and older Roku in my house did not cause this problem.) I changed the "Standby Through" setting on the Yamaha from "Auto" (default setting) to "On," and for now the Roku does not launch into auto detect on power cyclings. Assuming maybe this maintains the hdmi "handshake" at all times even when powering down receiver. But who knows. (I'm not trusting yet that this is a permanent solution; I've received at least one HDMI handshake error screen since I changed it the receiver setting, so I may have traded one headache for another.) But I hope this is helpful to someone else. My conclusion is that this 2020 Ultra does not handle the hdmi handshake process with my home entertainment setup the way previous ones did. You might have to play with your receiver HDMI settings, ie, standby and throughput, to make it work. Or maybe disable HDMI control via the receiver altogether.

0 Kudos
RCJ63
Level 8

@mikepfly2 wrote:

I purchased a Micro HDMI Fiber Cable and it fixed my issue. Do you have a long HDMI run? 

Here is the one I bought. Not cheap, but it fixed the issue and was smaller than a traditional HDMI cable which made the run through my conduit easier: https://amzn.to/3amoUFk

Good luck

Good suggestion, but nope. HDMI run is 3 feet, and I've tried multiple cables.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@RCJ63 wrote:

I am having this same issue with two consecutive 2020 Roku Ultras, run through a Yamaha receiver to an LG TV. The unit simply will NOT maintain a manual resolution setting, which I would like to use because as another user noted there's no reason to watch super high res tv on all tvs, especially when watching news programs. I want to throttle back this Roku to display something OTHER than 4k HDR, but this is all the unit wants to project.

I've tried the "secret menu" solution and that worked for a time. But now the unit keeps displaying a black screen at any other setting below 4K HDR. (It displays the home screen, app home pages, and even bottom-screen menus such as the timeline, and sometimes audio, but no streaming content at all. 

I returned one unit, am on a second, same issue. Roku support has been completely, abjectly unhelpful. Anyone with some advice before I ship yet another one of these back? It's infuriating. 

Just as an FYI, every streaming device auto-upscales all output to the configured device resolution (none of them do native/passthrough resolution).

Some apps/services also allow bandwidth/resolution limiting (e.g. NetFlix, Disney+, YouTube/YouTube TV).

Also make sure you enable Ultra HDMI Deep Color for the LG TV's port(s), configure the Yamaha's HDMI port settings to "Enhanced" (or otherwise check/change the Mode etc), and make sure CEC is enabled/configured.

0 Kudos
timmn
Level 10

I can't believe that this issue is still being discussed, for as long as this has been a problem, you would think that the people at Roku would take the hint and fix it.

The only thing I can think of is that they have a very low opinion of people who buy their product, and can't be trusted with selecting their own video settings.

RCJ63
Level 8

Yes. Yet to speak to a support person who even seems to grasp the issue. Their solution to everything is to use it running directly into a basic TV, no customizable audio or streaming settings, nothing. That's clearly their intended market. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@timmn wrote:

I can't believe that this issue is still being discussed, for as long as this has been a problem, you would think that the people at Roku would take the hint and fix it.

The only thing I can think of is that they have a very low opinion of people who buy their product, and can't be trusted with selecting their own video settings.

That pretty much describes every tech/CE company software/services (especially those that are cheaper  and/or with mass market appeal):  limited settings/user configurability to begin with, lack of granularity, default settings that promote new/marketed functionality, etc.

I cant think of a single tech/CE product/service or company that entrusts its consumers to the full suite of configurability options (whether they exist or not) - they all presume to know better their consumers' wants/needs than the consumers themselves.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@RCJ63 wrote:

Yes. Yet to speak to a support person who even seems to grasp the issue. Their solution to everything is to use it running directly into a basic TV, no customizable audio or streaming settings, nothing. That's clearly their intended market. 

As shortsighted and implausible as it seems, they still only officially support connecting their players directly to a TV, at least for initial setup (technically they support otherwise to a limited degree), even for the Ultras.

0 Kudos
Bigddy263
Level 7

Dude you rock.  Thanks for showing me how to get to the hdmi secret screen.my tv would always force dolbyvision when the roku was on auto.  It made non hdr media look wonky.

0 Kudos