Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tajson
Level 8

Re: Stop Roku From Changing Display Type

"Januari" wrote:
How it's sent to our TV's, is directly related to how much data we're consuming. To get that crisp 1080p picture, about 3 time's the data is consumed vs. 720p. For instance, in Netflix it's about 0.7 GB/hour vs. 3 GB/hour. I can be a huge difference, and if not caught in time, totally screw us.

Those values are for SD (480p) = 0.7 GB/hr and HD (up to 1080p) = up to 3GB/hr, (See: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87 )

720p is 921,600 pixels and 1080p 2,073,600 pixels so 2.25 times larger before compression and probably more like twice the size after. It would never be 3 fold in difference.
0 Kudos
Januari
Level 7

"Tajson" wrote:
"Januari" wrote:
How it's sent to our TV's, is directly related to how much data we're consuming. To get that crisp 1080p picture, about 3 time's the data is consumed vs. 720p. For instance, in Netflix it's about 0.7 GB/hour vs. 3 GB/hour. I can be a huge difference, and if not caught in time, totally screw us.

Those values are for SD (480p) = 0.7 GB/hr and HD (up to 1080p) = up to 3GB/hr, (See: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87 )

720p is 921,600 pixels and 1080p 2,073,600 pixels so 2.25 times larger before compression and probably more like twice the size after. It would never be 3 fold in difference.

SD 480p = 0.3 GB/hr
HD 720p = 0.7 GB/hr
HD 1080p = 3.0 GB/hr
4k 2160p = 7.0 GB/hr

Pixel number, and data required to send those pixels, are not equivalent. 
0 Kudos
Jammer
Level 8

Is RCN available where you live? They don't appear to care about consumption as much as Comcast. I have AT&T internet and they don't seem to care neither, but then I'm not watching TV 24 hours a day.
0 Kudos