Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kidster
Level 7

Roku no longer turns Vizio TV on

My Roku updated October 29th and it no longer turns my Vizio TV on. CEC is enabled on the TV. Anyone else have this issue? Discovered a resolution? Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Roku no longer turns Vizio TV on

Have you simply tried re-running the 'remote for tv control' set up again in the settings menu?

0 Kudos
Kidster
Level 7

My remote version does not support that feature. Until the update, when I turned on the Roku, the TV also powered on. It no longer does and I have to manually turn the TV on. No big deal, but I think the update broke this.
0 Kudos

Ah. CEC can be weird. Could have been an update/change on the TV side. Perhaps it is powering off now rather than a stand-by mode which is usually needed for HDMI activity to wake it. I don't and haven't owned a Visio though. You could just plunk down for an enhanced remote and not worry about it again - they're not terribly expensive. I finally did a couple years ago and wondered afterwards why I hadn't sooner. 

0 Kudos
Kidster
Level 7

It may be a TV thing. Just figured it was Roku related since it started at the same time as the last update. Thanks for the assist.
0 Kudos
Acanfield
Level 7

This has just happened to my JVC TV too.  The Roku 3 update was 10/31/19.  Prior to this, I could turn on the TV by just pressing any button on the remote.

I have un-paired it, re-paired it, and it still doesn't work.

I powered down the Roku, removed the remote batteries, powered the Roku back on, and after the Home screen appeared, I put the remote batteries back in.  Still doesn't work.

In the greater scheme, it is not a big deal. But as an IT person, updates that break features are not desirable!  Hope it gets fixed in the next update.

0 Kudos
Kidster
Level 7

Being in IT as well, I completely agree. Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one. The feature continues to work fine on my Samsung. This leads me to believe it is a brand specific issue of some sort.
0 Kudos
Roaddogmm
Level 7

This is happening on two of my TVs now, different brands. I suspect the latest update also. My TVs are dumb and do not get software updates
0 Kudos