Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimmyTBall
Level 7

Roku Ultra Defaults To Initial Setup Continously

We are a custom audio video integration company.  We have had several Roku Ultra HD players repeatedly go into a default initial setup.  Sometimes this happens several times a day.  In other instances several days could lapse before his happens.  Support doesn't have phone support currently and their email support after a few days of back and forth email informed me they do not support services like ours.  Go figure.  We suggest to our customers they use this product because it integrates fairly well with home automation platforms and Roku says they don't support this.  I guess we will have to start offering our clients alternative players from the fruit company or the big "A".

This is the response I got after a few messages back and forth over several days:

"Thank you for your response. This is Pavithra replying to your message.

I understand that you are writing this email on behalf of your customers. We are sorry to say that we don't support this service. If your customers need any help, request them to use this link to start a new support request."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra Defaults To Initial Setup Continously

You use the name "Ultra HD". There is several versions of the Roku Ultra, and there was a version called the Roku HD. But there was no Ultra HD. If you have the Roku HD model (N1100), that was released back in 2009 and is no longer supported by Roku. It doesn't have hardware capable of running the latest versions of the Roku OS, and most of the latest channels are not available for it. 

However, the Roku Ultra (4640, 4660/61/62, 4670) most certainly are still supported by Roku. If you have one of these model numbers, first check to see if there's an SD card inserted in the slot on the rear of the player. If there is, remove it and try starting the Roku again. 

I believe from that email response you received is that Roku doesn't offer support to third party contractors. They offer support to the Roku owners, but not for integrators such as yourself. I've seen other tech companies with the same, although they might offer paid support to companies like yours. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JimmyTBall
Level 7

It is this item that is currently available "Roku Ultra Streaming Media Player 4K/HD/HDR with Premium JBL Headphones"

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@JimmyTBall wrote:

It is this item that is currently available "Roku Ultra Streaming Media Player 4K/HD/HDR with Premium JBL Headphones"

OK, that's the Ultra 4670. I have one and it has worked fine for the 6+ months I've had it. My Ultra 4640 is approaching 4 years old and haven't had any issues with it either. Again, check to see if they have an SD card inserted and remove it if there is one. 

If there is no SD card, then my guess (and that's all it is) would be that something in the configuration has gotten corrupted. Most likely a factory reset will clear the problem, but of course that means configuring the player like it just came out of the box. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
JimmyTBall
Level 7

There's no SD card.  We literally have several hundred installs with Roku players.  Now 3 all from different homes with the same issue.  We have performed the factory reset on each of the devices and set them up only to get another call the next day that the device is doing the same thing.  I have 27 years of consumer electronics integration experience.  My point of this is that it is absurd that you promote a product you do not make any money on because it was working for the application.  Then to be discounted from the company and told they do not support dealers like us when you have real reliable issues.  Not one off scenarios from people that have used 1 and had a random experience.  I don't think asking the support people at Roku for help on a trend we are seeing is too much.  Maybe their latest software release is an issue??? who knows, but don't discount someone by say you don't support integration companies.   

0 Kudos