Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Dolby TrueHD Now Listed as a Supported Format

As of the latest build, Dolby TrueHD has been added to the list of supported audio formats for my Premiere+.  After the update, I tried playing a TrueHD track through Plex and got AC-3 (Dolby Digital) for Direct Play and EC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus) for Direct Stream/Convert.  Has anyone successfully gotten TrueHD audio out of their Roku since the update?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Dolby TrueHD Now Listed as a Supported Format

Are you referring to the "DTHD" designation in the audio settings of your player?  I see the same thing on my Roku 2 running the 9.3 update... TrueHD still does not playback on my unit though using Roku Media Player.

What does this "DTHD" designation mean?  If it is not for TrueHD then why the change?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, I am referring to the new "DTHD" designation in the audio menu.  Like you say, if that is not "Dolby TrueHD," what is it?

Streaming services do not use Dolby TrueHD, so the only way I can think of to get a TrueHD track to the Roku is through local file playback using an app like Plex or Roku Media Player.  Plex did not pass through TrueHD, but another user said Plex usually requires an app update to enable new features.  I got the same result you did using Roku Media Player, but I don't regularly use RMP.  I thought perhaps there was a trick I didn't know to change audio tracks.

So I guess we're waiting for a Plex or RMP update, unless someone can think of another source for TrueHD tracks?

I must admit to being a little surprised that Roku would add lossless audio support at this point just for local file playback.  Maybe it is related to the refreshed RMP app.  If not that, it begs the question whether or not a streaming service is going to announce lossless audio.  I think that's highly unlikely.  Either way, it's a curious time for Roku to abruptly add lossless audio after so many years without it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just noticed this also. Under HDMI it just says DTHD, but if you go to Audio Mode and then highlight the Auto option, it list's it as Dolby True HD. What could this be for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Not sure but I can tell you that last week my Roku2 (4210X) received an update and the option no longer appears for me... 

Still waiting for 9.3 firmware on my Ultra (4670X)… 

Perhaps Roku showed their hand here a little bit; here's hoping that this long requested feature may finally start seeing the light of day...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Can anyone check if we have more options in Audio except DD and DD+?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

9.3 is out. Anyone tried it yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Not yet, but I will shortly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem, and ROKU support hasn´t been able to answer my Question. I see the DTHD sound, but I can´t get it via ROKU. Also, I don´t know if DTHD includes Dolby Atmos??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Yup Atmos is now supported. But only Dolby Roku app supports Atmos not Netflix or any other app.