Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronwt
Level 9

Re: Roku 4 a good choice?

Just run it directly through the Tv then. Most TVs support DD+ that the streaming services use. The TV will just use the ARC to send it to the receiver.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2019 Ultra--2016 Ultra

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 9

What is the model # of the older Ultra that I want? I see some on Amazon that say 2016 model, but have 2017 in the description.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"Miami Son" wrote:
What is the model # of the older Ultra that I want? I see some on Amazon that say 2016 model, but have 2017 in the description.

The original Ultra (2016) is a 4640. The last model (2017) is 4660. The newest one just introduced is boxed as a 4661, but the player itself is the same 4660.
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 12

There is some type of shortcoming in the older Ultra unit. Perhaps native .ts container/MPEG-2/HEVC support...

At any rate, buy the newest model. Ultimately you'll be glad you did, when you find out whatever that is that's not supported in the older model, but is in the new one.

I gave around $80 for my Ultra 4660R (refurb).
Crappy, Ad-Button Remote (Remote Surgery - Cure), but it does control the TV Power and Volume (rather handy).
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 9

Is there a difference between a 4640R and a 4640X? I am finding both online.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"Miami Son" wrote:
Is there a difference between a 4640R and a 4640X? I am finding both online.

No difference.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 9

OK, just got a brand new 4640R off eBay for $75. Hope it is exactly what I wanted. Thanks all for the recommendations and advice.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"DubTaylor" wrote:
There is some type of shortcoming in the older Ultra unit. Perhaps native .ts container/MPEG-2/HEVC support...

My 4640 supports TS/M2TS containers, MPEG-2/H.262 and HEVC. No problems there. My only issue is it's connected to a 1080 plasma set, not 4K, and my UHD rips look pretty bad without an HDR display.  Smiley LOL
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 12

"atc98092" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

My 4640 supports TS/M2TS containers, MPEG-2/H.262 and HEVC. No problems there. My only issue is it's connected to a 1080 plasma set, not 4K, and my UHD rips look pretty bad without an HDR display.  Smiley LOL

I recall some kind of drama associated with the older units and Plex (surprised?). Anyway, I remembered those threads of discontent when I purchased my 4660 (Refurb) that was 30 dollars cheaper than a brand new 4640.
0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

I've owned just about all the Roku's and all the Ultra's, except the 2019 one.  I bought a 4 this week on eBay in the original box and in like new condition.  I remember pre-ordering the 4 directly from Roku in October of 2015, but I had issues, including no DD audio in my setup and returned it immediately.  I currently had no Roku's and decided it would be fun to buy an older one.  I considered the 3, but that's too far back.  I found that people had all kinds of experiences with the fan, from silent to loud clattering.  This one has its fan come on after a little use and it is audible from my chair if the house is quiet and listen for it.

The first night the fan ran over night and would not turn off until I power cycled it.  I eventually found the setting to power down the Roku after 30 minutes of inactivity, which turns off the fan and made things much more tolerable.  Frankly, I'm pretty thrilled with the performance of this player from 2015.  I have DD audio now, great 4K video, and it's plenty fast and running the latest OS update.  I could have just bought an Ultra and yes it would run perfectly, but I'm enjoying finding a device that exceeds expectation that I paid very little for.

It would be cool to know if anyone knows any tweaks to make the fan run less often or even quieter.  The secret screen shows it runs at 24% all the time, once it warms up to about 67 C.  Obviously, it's not normal for a fan in any device to run continuously hours after no activity.

0 Kudos