Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iFrog
Level 8

Re: [Official] OS 9 Release Notes

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
As far as the above mention of advanced options for audio, have you tried hitting the * key while watching something like a Netflix show? they pop up for me there, and I think they are in the regular settings under audio too.  One thing you could additionally try is disconnecting power from the Roku with the issue for about 30 seconds then reconnecting to see if it just needs a power cycle.

You're still on 8.1, I'm on 9.0...apples and oranges as you'll see once the update comes your way.

If you mean that comment in regards to the Audio features, my 2017 Ultra has 9.0.0 build 4083 on it, and nothing seems broken.  My two  older Roku units:
2016 Premiere+
2016 Streaming Stick Black (3600)
haven't gotten any of the OS 9 rollouts yet.  So, when they do, I'll give feedback.  I've considered getting New units too, it seems like the older devices are taking forever to see any updates, where as my 2017 Ultra got OS 9 around the time Roku announced it's Rollout.
0 Kudos

"iFrog" wrote:
"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
As far as the above mention of advanced options for audio, have you tried hitting the * key while watching something like a Netflix show? they pop up for me there, and I think they are in the regular settings under audio too.  One thing you could additionally try is disconnecting power from the Roku with the issue for about 30 seconds then reconnecting to see if it just needs a power cycle.

You're still on 8.1, I'm on 9.0...apples and oranges as you'll see once the update comes your way.

If you mean that comment in regards to the Audio features, my 2017 Ultra has 9.0.0 build 4083 on it, and nothing seems broken.  My two  older Roku units:
2016 Premiere+
haven't gotten any of the OS 9 rollouts yet.  So, when they do, I'll give feedback.  I've considered getting New units too, it seems like the older devices are taking forever to see any updates, where as my 2017 Ultra got OS 9 around the time Roku announced it's Rollout.

Yes, I mean in regards to the audio features. My Premiere+ 4630 (2016 model) has the 9.0 update already. No matter which app I press the * key in, there is no "Advanced sound settings" menu as Roku claims there should be in this article. That also means that the "Night listening" option that was in 8.1 and previous versions is now gone. I've checked in multiple apps, including the Roku app, and believe me I've rebooted and power cycled the unit multiple times. This is not my first rodeo.
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:

2016 Premiere+

Yes, I mean in regards to the audio features. My Premiere+ 4630 (2016 model) has the 9.0 update already. No matter which app I press the * key in, there is no "Advanced sound settings" menu as Roku claims there should be in this article. That also means that the "Night listening" option that was in 8.1 and previous versions is now gone. I've checked in multiple apps, including the Roku app, and believe me I've rebooted and power cycled the unit multiple times. This is not my first rodeo.

Thanks for the information, I'll be on the lookout when my devices update.  I've gotten to the point where, I really don't need to continue using Roku for my needs.  In 2013, when I first started with the Roku 3 it was a unique streaming device.  Now most services are on any device now, and I've seen stuff mainly with Google and their voice assistant that are very appealing over  the Apple TV, and Roku.  I mainly still use Roku now because it's still a nice device, and it works most of the time without issues.  There are just things that would make some nice changes, at least for me.
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

I wanted to add a quick update about the advanced volume options.  I just checked my Ultra model 4550 (2017 model) with OS 9.0.0 build 4083 during Netflix playback by hitting the * button, and the options are there, It's under a heading of Volume Mode with Leveling, Night, and Off as options.  I'll keep an eye out for this change on the Premiere+ when it gets the OS 9 update.

Will also check the Stick 3600 when it updates as well.
0 Kudos

"iFrog" wrote:
I wanted to add a quick update about the advanced volume options.  I just checked my Ultra model 4550 (2017 model) with OS 9.0.0 build 4083 during Netflix playback by hitting the * button, and the options are there, It's under a heading of Volume Mode with Leveling, Night, and Off as options.  I'll keep an eye out for this change on the Premiere+ when it gets the OS 9 update.

Will also check the Stick 3600 when it updates as well.

I'm at 9.0.0 build 4072, which might explain it. Wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to include the "Advanced sound settings" or "Volume Mode" or whatever they're calling it with the 4072 release, and fixed it with the 4083 release. I just tried to manually update to 4083, but it's only offering 4072 again. Wonder how long it'll take for me to get the latest build, as usual we're all at their mercy. I wouldn't care so much except that night listening worked just fine in 8.1, and here I am without it due to what looks like a flawed build of 9.0, with no clue as to when it'll get rectified.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
Yes, I mean in regards to the audio features. My Premiere+ 4630 (2016 model) has the 9.0 update already. No matter which app I press the * key in, there is no "Advanced sound settings" menu as Roku claims there should be in this article[/url:3uzsujjd]. That also means that the "Night listening" option that was in 8.1 an...

There is a note in the article you linked after the first paragraph that states Volume Modes are only available in stereo. I'm sure you have tried enough streams to have come across a stereo audio one, but just thought I would mention it for anyone else that may be wondering why they don't see the option from an initial test that may be on a 5.1 audio stream.

Note: Volume modes are only available in stereo.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"blade_005" wrote:
"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
Yes, I mean in regards to the audio features. My Premiere+ 4630 (2016 model) has the 9.0 update already. No matter which app I press the * key in, there is no "Advanced sound settings" menu as Roku claims there should be in this article[/url:2vdyqlcs]. That also means that the "Night listening" option that was in 8.1 an...

There is a note in the article you linked after the first paragraph that states Volume Modes are only available in stereo. I'm sure you have tried enough streams to have come across a stereo audio one, but just thought I would mention it for anyone else that may be wondering why they don't see the option from an initial test that may be on a 5.1 audio stream.

That's odd, the Netflix stream I tested on had 5.1 audio, granted, the audio receiver wasn't on, so I tried options without  audio playing.  Maybe without the speakers on the Roku was outputting a stereo signal.  I'll test again with the sound on, to see if it makes a difference.  Good pinch of info to take into account.  Maybe Roku did that because most people use the device connected to TV speakers.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"blade_005" wrote:
"Premiere+4630" wrote:
"iFrog" wrote:
Yes, I mean in regards to the audio features. My Premiere+ 4630 (2016 model) has the 9.0 update already. No matter which app I press the * key in, there is no "Advanced sound settings" menu as Roku claims there should be in this article[/url:llpft9r8]. That also means that the "Night listening" option that was in 8.1 an...

Interesting. With the old Night Listening mode it automatically switched the player to stereo. Perhaps the audio out needs to be changed to stereo only out for the function to be available. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

That makes sense for NIGHT LISTENING. Kill the center, surround and sub channels and create a more focused but lower volume listening mode. Not sure how that helps for someone with 5.1 audio that just wants Volume Leveling functionality.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos

If you guys knew how many permutations I've tried with my 4630 on OS 9 to get any of these audio options to appear, you'd hand me a cold beer for my efforts!

Seriously, I've tried it all. Tried forcing the thing to stereo instead of Auto in the main options, tried at least a dozen different apps x dozens of different videos/streams, rebooted multiple times, physically cycled power multiple times, checked for updates through Settings, checked for updates through the hidden menu, etc. etc. etc.

What they have described in that article is simply nowhere to be found in this 4072 build. iFrog mentioned being on the 4083 build with his 4660, so it appears that he has a slightly newer release than I do. My hunch remains that they botched the audio settings in 4072 and fixed them in 4083.

PS - I have not resorted to factory resetting the 4630, nor will I go down that path. Every other feature is working exactly as expected and I've been lucky enough with this thing that I've experienced almost none of the other popular bugs that get reported frequently. My YouTube app works perfectly, never signs me out, as do all of the other apps. I am not going to tempt fate by doing a factory reset of a device that is otherwise working perfectly. I'll wait for the next OS update, it is what it is.
0 Kudos