Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SL_BRABUS
Level 7

Re: [Official] 2018 Fall Launch - Roku Ultra + JBL Headphones Feedback

"atc98092" wrote:
"SL BRABUS" wrote:
If somebody could help....

Thanks in advance...

Just got my new 2018 Roku Utra.....

This unit replace my Samsung Smart Blu Ray Player BD-J6300/ZA by using HDMI for picture & 5.1 surround sound....

Very disappointing  with the new 2018 Roku Utra no more 5.1 surround sound... Always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.....

It's the firmware issue...??

Buyer beware this issue....

Best Regards,
Tony

The Ultra 4660 (2017 and later) no longer has a DD+ to DD decoder, so it's been this way for some time. It was removed for cost savings. Unfortunately, if you aren't using a device that can decode DD+, you're stuck with PCM. For the Ultra with decoder, you need model 4640 (2016 version). And no other Roku player has the decoder either. 

Thanks Dan for the help and information....
Now since this has been addressed, is Roku team going to fix this problem.....??
Hopefully they will fix this problem with the new firmware...
If they decide to ignore and not fix this problem there will be more unsatisfied customers with complaint about surround sound issue, which is not good for the Roku company....

Best Regards,
Tony
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

But it's not a "problem". It was a decision to remove it for cost savings, which they used to lower the price of the Ultra. They won't be adding it via software (not certain it can be done, might require a chip) because they would have to pay a licensing fee to Dolby, which they don't want to do. Naturally, since so many streaming sites have switched to DD+, it has an impact on the user. However, for users that connect directly to a TV, it doesn't really matter because the TV only has two speakers. Sending it 5.1 doesn't really do anything. For users with soundbars or AVRs that don't support DD+, well I guess it's time for an update. 
But it's a business decision that Roku appears to have made, and I doubt you'll see a DD+ decoder on any current model. Of course, they might have a new high end model in the works that supports all the little things that some of us gripe about, but since Roku never announces their future plans, who knows?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SL_BRABUS
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
But it's not a "problem". It was a decision to remove it for cost savings, which they used to lower the price of the Ultra. They won't be adding it via software (not certain it can be done, might require a chip) because they would have to pay a licensing fee to Dolby, which they don't want to do. Naturally, since so many streaming sites have switched to DD+, it has an impact on the user. However, for users that connect directly to a TV, it doesn't really matter because the TV only has two speakers. Sending it 5.1 doesn't really do anything. For users with soundbars or AVRs that don't support DD+, well I guess it's time for an update. 
But it's a business decision that Roku appears to have made, and I doubt you'll see a DD+ decoder on any current model. Of course, they might have a new high end model in the works that supports all the little things that some of us gripe about, but since Roku never announces their future plans, who knows?

Thank you Dan for all the helpful information.....
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:

Knowing they rebadged ultra from last year i am doubtful anything is coming. This was the year for dolby vision like apple tv...another roku fail.
0 Kudos

"hackztor" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Knowing they rebadged ultra from last year i am doubtful anything is coming. This was the year for dolby vision like apple tv...another roku fail.

Agree. I think it's time to look for a new streamer that DOES support Dolby Vision
0 Kudos
wifiguy84
Level 7

Given there is no technical difference b/w 2017 and 2018 Ultras (not considering headphones), will the 2017 model have the same remote finder sounds? Ie, ESPN and GoT?  Via an update maybe?  Sorry in advance if this is off topic.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 9

A number of years ago, I bought a Sony Blu-ray player, a BDP-BX59. This was the exact same Blu-ray player, as the S590, with only difference being, that the BDP-BX59 came with an HDMI cable, and the S590, was the same player, but without the cable. When I went to look for reviews and information on Fourms, I learned to just search for S590, and I didn't worry that I couldn't find "BX59" in a search...
Ultra 4660
0 Kudos
jenin1383
Level 7

I am planning to buy Roku Ultra in US and use it in Belgium.
I assume that my device will work in Belgium. (Other than sling, Pandora etc which are US specific).
Anybody has tried it before?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"jenin1383" wrote:
I am planning to buy Roku Ultra in US and use it in Belgium.
I assume that my device will work in Belgium. (Other than sling, Pandora etc which are US specific).
Anybody has tried it before?

Keep in mind that just because a service works in a particular country or region, that's no guarantee that the Roku app for the service will work there.

Netflix, for example, is notorious for not supporting their Roku app outside of places where Roku is sold. The Netflix app on Roku may or may not work in Belgium.

The only places in Europe that you can reasonable expect things to work properly are the U.K. and France. Could be hit an miss elsewhere.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jenin1383
Level 7

Ah.. Thanks!.. I'm buying anyway in Bestbuy... Too good to resist offer. Will Post in forum in couple of weeks to confirm how it works!
0 Kudos