Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff_net
Level 7

Mobile App - Private Listening on Roku 3

I like the i can use my phone to listen to roku using the roku app. But i found that it works for my roku 4 but not roku 3. Is this a known issue?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeff_net
Level 7

Re: Roku app remote works for roku 4 but not 3

I should have made clear I'm talking about listening using earbuds connectec to my phone using the remote app. The earphones don't play and the tv speakers don't mute.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

I believe the Roku 3 doesn't support private listening. We'll have to get @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD to confirm. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeff_net
Level 7

I think you're correct. There is no headphones icon on the remote screen, and I read that means the device doesn't support private listening. So, that is disappointing as I have two 3's and one 4.
I am using the new remote they sent me on one of my 3's that was eating batteries. They had sent me a new remote about eight months ago and I have been using that one on my 4 and it seemed better about batteries, but not that much. So, my expectation for this latest remote is low. I've used the earphones two evenings with it so far. I am expecting batteries to last only two or three more days worth of earbud use, but we'll see. Maybe this latest new remote is different than the last one they sent, despite that they look the same. That's my hope, but not my guess.
However, that I can use private listening on the roku 4 in my living room getting the sound through my phone, allows me to watch tv at late or early times at night when my wife is sleeping. That's huge for me. So, that's where I'm at. I'll update when the batteries conk out on the new remote.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

As @atc98092 noted, mobile private listening is not supported on some models of the Roku 3.

As you previously observed, you would see the headphones icon on the remote tab of the mobile app if this feature was supported. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos