Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Media Player on Roku 3 issues since update

Roku 3 (4200X) updated to 9.3.0, build 4170-04.

Ever since the latest firmware upgrade, Media Player is acting up. Previously, I could pause or pause and click the back button to go to the file screen, or stay on a folder screen, and Media Player would stay there indefinitely. I could come back the next day or the next week and it would be right on the same screen.

Since the update, it kicks out and goes back to the Home screen after a while. I don't know how much time, but it seems like a couple of hours maybe. Really annoying to have to go in and find the place where I left off on my media server again.

Also a long time ago there was a problem with media servers where Media Player wouldn't wait long enough for the stream to start. It would kick out saying error connecting or some such. So you would have to click Play, then back out and wait about 10 seconds, then Play again to make sure you didn't get kicked out. It was fixed, but now it seems to be back...at least sometimes. It happened a couple of times since this last firmware update when it used to not happen at all anymore.

Also, yes I have done all the standard troubleshooting - checked for updates, reboot, uninstall/reinstall Media Player, etc.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Media Player on Roku 3 issues since update

Sounds like it could be the 4 hour timeout associated with the "bandwidth saver". Make sure this is off via Settings > Network > Bandwidth saver.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, that was it. So...either that is something new that is set to on by default (I don't remember ever seeing it before), or the recent update reset it.

Thank you for your quick response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Spoke too soon - Bandwidth Saver is NOT the problem.

I turned off Bandwidth Saver and rebooted. Checked to make sure it was still off.

Media Player is still exhibiting the same issues. And it's way less than 4 hours before it kicks out.

Also the problem with it not waiting long enough for my media server to start spinning up is still back.

This problem still exists.

0 Kudos