Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jinmasu
Level 8

Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot

Let us roll back to 9.3 TODAY! You all have broken the hdr on my tcl and my ps5 looks like swamp ass now and more faded than ever. I also now can’t have both systems on at the same time without the screen flickering and going black.

This was all working fine Thursday when I got the system. I’ve already notified TCL about this and really don’t appreciate being used as a beta tester for broken updates.

Ya I’m a little mad cause all I wanted to do today was play this thing but not when it looks like this. Fix ASAP!!!

63 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Let us roll back! 9.4 broke a lot

9.4 has been working for me flawlessly.

Its not in Beta.

Always amazes me the strong attitude people have posting here.

Oh ok lets just get right on that. What you do with your attitude

is make people tune you out. Immediately.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
RedRider
Level 7

Not beta means NOTHING. The update has caused my HDMI 1 input port to flicker to black every 15 seconds. There is DEFINITLY a problem. It always amazes me that people who aren't experiencing a specific issue dismiss other people reporting problems. 

Jinmasu
Level 8

Right?! I’m glad that you aren’t having any issues, but when my 500 dollar tv is made useless because someone can’t code correctly, that’s when I have the right to be upset. 

boogernose
Level 18

Coding involves a great deal of hardware considerations and other peoples code as well.

Just report what you are experiencing and things will come around.

Especially where Roku TV's are involved. Roku technically doesnt make TV's.

Report yur issues to TCL and submit to Roku and be patient.

Believe me I know and feel the frustration people get when they dont get their TV on demand

without hitch. Just try to relax and report the issues. The negativity isnt helping your situation.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
StreamerUser
Level 16

You can (usually) roll firmware updates back by accessing the "secret screens" to do so.  Do an internet search for "roku secret screens" for specific directions (there are even undeleted/unedited scattered posts here in the forums with specific instructions if you search).

(I would provide the simple steps to do so, but Roku edits posts removing the information and bans users providing the simple steps to do so)

Jinmasu
Level 8

Tried that brother and it only has 9.4 available. It’s alright I’m just going to look at other TVs today and sell this thing. Only reason I have it is for 4K and hdr and if I can’t do that what’s the point of keeping roku or TCL around. 

birdchest9
Level 7

I def noticed the darker tune on NBA 2K21. Almost unplayable with HDR on. Had to turn it off. 

UncleBrenty
Level 9

Saturday night, November 14, 2020, my TCL Roku TV that had finally updated to OS 9.4 build 4190-30 on Thursday, stopped opening the Spectrum TV app. Spectrum TV has always had minor issues so I just switched to watching the local KTLA 5 News on the Locast app.  Afterward I used Apple Airplay to finally be able to stream HBOMAX on my TV which works well with a few pauses during playback the rest of the evening.  Sunday morning the Spectrum app still wasn't working.  Tried deleting and reinstalling since that has fixed the problem in the past.  Still attempts to open the app then goes back to Roku Home screen. Used Locast the rest of the day.

Today I tried opening about half of the apps ((Spectrum TV, Disney +, HBO, HULU, (even EPIX and SHOWTIME that I purchase as a bundle through the Roku Channel) and they all attempt to open then return to the Roku Home Screen.  This only happens on my TCL Roku TV.  My Ultra and Premiere are working normally.  Not sure if this is a TCL or Roku problem but will notify both.

UncleBrenty
Level 9

Did online chat with Patrick at TCL Roku TV Support.  Simple fix.  Just needed to go to SETTINGS/SYSTEM/POWER/RESTART and everything is working again on my TCL R65617 ROKU TV!

Had to log in to the Spectrum TV app since I had uninstalled and reinstalled but Disney+, HBO, EPIX/SHOWTIME on the ROKU Channel, HULU, STARZ, etc,,, are all opening and playing again.

0 Kudos